Please note: 2015 Piper applications will be submitted via the Faculty Requests portal, which will be available in August 2015.
Piper Professor Award
The Minnie Stevens Piper Professor Award Foundation annually honors ten professors in Texas colleges and universities for outstanding achievement in the teaching profession. Each award includes an honorarium and a plaque designating the recipient as a "Piper Professor".
The purpose of this award is to give recognition to teaching rather than to scholarship, research, publication, or administration. The university is permitted to submit one nomination each year. The foundation encourages wide participation in the selection of nominees. The Faculty Senate coordinates the nomination process. The Texas State submission deadline is in October, and the Piper Foundation will issue award notification in May. See PPS 6.04
Each year the Faculty Senate recognizes the Piper Professor nominee and two runners-up with the Everette Swinney Excellence in Teaching awards, for which awardees receive an honorarium and a certificate.
Guidelines for the Nomination/Application Process:
1. Members of the faculty are encouraged to recommend colleagues who they believe to be strong candidates for this award. Please notify the nominee immediately. The nominee should begin completion of the application at the earliest possible date.
2. The nominee is encouraged to review the sample documents from successful university nominees. Successful applications may be viewed here.
4. Forward ONLY five letters of recommendation (the nomination letter, if used, is considered to be one of the five letters of recommendation).
5. Nominees are encouraged to communicate with Texas State Piper Professors. Nominees may also wish to solicit comments on their application documents from additional colleagues.
6. The final application must be sent electronically to the Faculty Senate Office and must include: a) the Texas State Application Form; b) a current curriculum vita; and c) a maximum of five (5) letters of recommendation from deans, chairs, faculty, professional associates, and/or former students. All documentation must be submitted to FacultySenate@txstate.edu.
September 1 Call for nominations/applications is issued by the Chair of the Faculty Senate.
October 15 Piper Professor Selection Committee (appointed by the Faculty Senate) submits its recommendation to the Faculty Senate for approval.
October 22 The approved nominee is notified of his/her nomination.
November 14 The completed application from the nominee is due in the Office of the Provost.