"Academic freedom is freedom from duress or sanction aimed at suppressing the intellectual independence, free investigation, and unfettered communication by the academic community -- faculty, librarians, students, and guests." (Statement on Academic Freedom, UCLA)
Academic Freedom is fundamental to a university and all faculty have a compelling interest in its preservation, as it is vital to them as well as to university librarians, students, and guests. As such, the Faculty Senate (FS) and its Academic Freedom Committee (AFC) assume joint responsibility for ensuring that it prevails. AFC may call upon the Senate to take up matters for action and the Senate may refer matters to the AFC for consideration.
The FS and the AFC will vigilantly engage in the following measures:
- promoting an understanding of academic freedom by encouraging and sponsoring ongoing events and activities to convey its significance and establish it as a guiding core value of university culture;
- identifying threats to, or restrictions on, academic freedom and make concerns known whenever there is convincing evidence to warrant attention;
- addressing challenges where possible and refer them to other entities for assistance as necessary;
- assisting with ensuring academic freedom in the international arena by networking wth such organizations as Scholars at Risk, which seeks opportunities for oppressed faculty, such as gaining temporary employment at Texas State or receiving invitations to speak here; and
- pursuing funding for the activities noted above.
Members of the AFC shall include seven members, including at least one who is:
- a faculty senator,
- a tenured faculty member,
- a tenure-track faculty member,
- a fulltime lecturer,
- a librarian, and
- a member of the Graduate House.
2017 - 2018 Members
|Academic Freedom Committee||College||Term Exp|
|Dr. Vince Luizzi, Chair||Liberal Arts||2018||VL01@txstate.edu|
|Dr. Emily Summers||Education||2020||ES33@txstate.edu|
|Mr. Steve Wilson||Liberal Arts||2019||SW13@txstate.edu|
|Dr. Kathryn Moore||Fine Arts and Communicationemail@example.com|
|Ms. Renee Wendel||Health Professions||2019||RW18@txstate.edu|
|Ms. Stephanie Towery||Library||2020||SST25@txstate.edu|