Texas State University Logo
Banner Image
J.C.Kellam 880
512.245.8323
Office Hours: Monday - Thursday 9:00 am - 4:00 pm (6:00 pm on meeting days)

Faculty Senate Meeting Information

Henrietta Avent Faculty Senate Meeting Room

Texas State Links

External Links

Join the Conversation

adjust type sizemake font smallermake font largerreset font size

March 10, 2004 Minutes

Vice Chair James, Senators Peeler, Gillis, Conroy, Shah, Rao, Hazlewood, Hindson, McKinney, Bell-Metereau, Brennan, Gordon

University Star reporter

 

Guests: Dr. Michael Blanda

 

Vice Chair called the meeting to order at 4:00.  She announced that the P card cannot be used to purchase items for faculty senate.  Every senator should contribute $5 to the senate for refreshments.

 

Senator Hindson asked to add the social science building and undergrad first-year building to the PAAG agenda.

 

I. Tenure and Promotion Committee

Senator Gordon reported on the recommendations that tenure and promotion guidelines should come from faculty.

 

II. Research Enhancement Program Ad Hoc Committee

Dr. Blanda reported on the findings and recommendations of the University Research Committee.  He clarified that the senate does not want to issue ballots, but to have senate liaisons and senators conduct the selection of College Research Committee (CRC) members.  Elections may be held in departments by voice votes, or by determining whoever is willing to serve.  The chair has to have that list by the end of the Spring semester.  The senate will compile the lists of CRC members. 

 

Senator Hindson asked about the University Research Committee (URC) representatives, and Dr. Blanda said they are appointed for three-year terms, and they do not evaluate proposals.

 

Each department has one representative.  Some departments have difficulty, especially if representatives must be tenured.  Therefore, the committee recommends that non-tenured faculty be eligible for the CRC as well.

 

Dr. Blanda will give his report to the senate on December 1.  Therefore submission must be backed up to October 8.  The Ad hoc committee has suggested two award pools based on the percentage of funds requested by tenure track and tenured faculty as to place the bonus points that were awarded to tenure track faculty in the last round.

 

Senator Hindson asked if more tenured faculty would apply, with elimination of bonus for non-tenure track.

 

Dr.Blanda said that the projected pool might change each year.

 

The requested funding for the two groups was close, but actual funding was 3 out of 27 tenured and 31 out of 48 for non-tenured.

 

Senator Hazlewood said he could see the value of tenure-track getting preference.

 

Senator Shah said that the tenured faculty deserve a share as well.

 

Senator Conroy said that the grants available in the arts are limited, and Senator Gordon said that the same was true in education in some cases.

 

Senator Shah asked if we had looked at the possibility of three tracks.

 

Senator Sawey asked for an explanation of the example given by Dr. Blanda.

 

Dr. Blanda wanted to run the numbers to be sure that it would be fair to change the system as he had suggested.  He will be asking president’s cabinet to increase the funding level overall.

 

Senator Sawey asked if there was a way to use the recommended funding to inflate the numbers. 

 

Dr. Blanda said that the proposals are ranked and they go down the list until the money runs out.  The guidelines specify font, size, etc., and these are followed exactly.

 

Senator Peeler said that this procedure assumes the college reviews the budget.

 

Dr. Blanda discussed the difficulties of making copies of proposals available in hard copy,

 

Senator Hazlewood suggested that OSP should do it the way computing did it; people either submitted twelve hard copies or Milt’s office printed those sent in electronically.

 

Dr. Blanda will try the method of having Principle Investigators submit electronically and the deans will print, with OSP covering the costs of printing and labor.

 

Senator Shah said the College of Business Administration Research Committee had someone who has resigned because the individual wants to apply for a grant, and there was difficulty filling the position on the committee.  This problem should go to the senate for a solution.  Dr. Blanda will send a letter to those elected to the CRC and specify that the faculty member must agree not to submit a proposal if he or she accepts the appointment.

 

Senate suggested that Dr. Blanda clarify No. 13, which specifies summer salary requests.

 

Senator Rao asked if people paid to distribute questionnaires in India would be consultants.  The senate said this would be staff or some other designation.

 

Senator Hindson asked why we can’t have faculty development leaves in the summer, as we do in fall and spring. 

 

Dr. Blanda pointed out that this money is exclusively for the summer, and it has to be off the books by August 31. 

 

III. Campus Master Plan

 

Senator Peeler reported on the draft campus master plan. 

 

Senator Bell-Metereau asked if the campus was going to try to reduce light pollution and have downward directed lights. 

 

Senator Peeler said he believed this was a national trend, but did not know if the university plans to reduce light pollution on campus in future projects.

 

IV. PAAG Items

Senator Hindson said he would like to discuss the office of Sponsored Programs and how faculty-friendly the office is. 

 

Senator Conroy suggested inviting Dr. Covington to discuss this at a future Meeting before bringing it to PAAG.

 

Vice Chair James suggested that about six items was all we could cover.

 

Senator Conroy said that neither she nor Senator Shah had been contacted about the equity salary committee.

 

Dr. Gratz’s duties and the associate provost, the selection process, and the role will be a topic for PAAG.

 

Senator Shah asked if we need to make senate liaisons more responsive to faculty.  Ballots will go out April 16.  We would need to meet with liaisons before that time, on the 7th or 14th.  We will be looking at developmental leaves.  We could meet upstairs and then come down here.

 

Senator Sawey said that the committee would have a draft of the final recommendations on the role of the chair. 

 

Senator Hazlewood said the academic computing committee has finished their work, and they had added $100,000 to the funds available.

 

Senator Shah said he was working with Dr. Smallwood on the assignment of W dates.  The first is too early and the second is too late.  He will also look at the Thanksgiving holiday.

 

Senator Hazlewood said that in classes that are full and students intend to drop, this might cause a problem.

 

Senator Sawey said he had received an email from the academic advisor from athletics asking for a student grade report.  He refuses to respond to this request.

 

Senator Conroy said that the constitutional amendment committee is formulating a statement of opposition to the amendment to change the composition of the senate.  The way the petition is phrased calls for this change to take effect in Fall 2004, which is not possible, because we are currently in the middle of an election cycle.  Another issue is that the proposal presented to the senate by Professor Earl differs in wording from what the petitioners signed. We need to determine what to do to notify the petitioners of this discrepancy.  Chair Stone will contact Dr. Earl about this problem with the calendar of elections.

 

 

They include military and aeronautic science, which have no voting faculty.

 

New Business

 

The senate approved minutes from previous meetings, with amendments.

 

Senate adjourned at 6:05.

Revised Approved minutes submitted by Rebecca Bell-Metereau 4/6/04.