Mileage Rate 53.5 cents per mile effective 01/01/2017
Texas State’s maximum mileage reimbursement rate for travel occurring on or after January 1, 2017 is 53.5 cents per mile.
Mileage Rate 54.0 cents per mile effective 01/01/2016 - 12/31/2016
Texas State’s maximum mileage reimbursement rate for travel occurring between January 1, 2016 and December 31, 2016 was 54.0 cents per mile.
Travelers may use their personally owned vehicle for business purposes if it is more cost effective than renting a car, taking a taxi, or using alternative transportations, or if it saves time. Travelers authorized to travel by personally owned vehicles shall be reimbursed for mileage based on the current standard reimbursement rate approved by Cabinet. Mileage shall be calculated from the traveler’s designated headquarters to duty point or common carrier and back to designated headquarters.
Coordination of travel when two or more employees are traveling to the same duty point is encouraged.
Designated headquarters is the location of the traveler’s permanent work assignment. Designated headquarters other than San Marcos or Round Rock must be approved by the Vice President of Finance & Support Services.
The reimbursement rate is directly tied to the dates of travel.
Texas State travelers requesting mileage reimbursement may select the following options for calculating mileage:
The documentation supporting the mileage expense must be attached for reimbursement.
The Travel Office has created a MapQuest Chart with the allowed mileage for travel between commonly used travel destinations within Central Texas. Rather than attaching the MapQuest print out for these, the Traveler can simply refer to the chart, use the miles/amount calculated and reference the MapQuest Number on the expense reimbursement report. This will eliminate the need to print, scan, and attach the documentation when traveling to these locations. Note: the amount does not include the amount of any tolls paid. Those are listed separately on the expense report and the required documentation must be attached to support the expense amount.
- The mileage rate takes into account all actual automobile expenses such as fuel and lubrication, towing charges, repairs, replacements, tires, depreciation, insurance, etc. These and other automobile expenses will not be reimbursed when a personally owned vehicle is used.
- Parking and toll expenses will be reimbursed when properly documented on the travel reimbursement. Receipts are the prime form of documentation.
- When two or more persons on University business share a personally owned vehicle, only the driver may claim reimbursement for mileage.
- Expenses for travel between the traveler’s residence and headquarters (commuting expense) shall not be reimbursed.
When a traveler is authorized to drive a personally owned vehicle to or from a common carrier terminal, mileage may be reimbursed as follows:
- One round trip, including parking for the duration of the trip; or
- Two round trips, including short-term parking expenses, when a traveler is driven to a common carrier.
Mileage in Lieu of Air Travel when Traveling Outside of Texas
A traveler may request mileage reimbursement for personal reasons even though air travel is the appropriate form of transportation if such costs shall not exceed the cost of airfare. The cost of airfare is based on the lower of the regular coach fare available, plus transportation costs to and from the airport and estimated parking fees incurred had the traveler opted to use air travel. The traveler must obtain the regular coach fare from the University’s designated travel agency. The traveler should use the Airfare Equivalency Form provided on the University’s travel web site to support the reimbursement amount.
Cost of Fuel Rate
Use "Regular Gasoline Retail Price" U.S. rate
For your Trip Optimizer, choose the U.S. retail price provided by the U.S. Energy Information Administation's weekly fuel update
Note: The rate approved on your travel request will be the rate applied to the dates of travel on your expense report.