Annual Mileage Rates
Mileage Rate 58.0 cents per mile effective 01/01/2019
Texas State’s maximum mileage reimbursement rate for travel occurring on or after January 1, 2019 is 58.0 cents per mile.
Mileage Rate 54.5 cents per mile effective 01/01/2018 - 12/31/2018
Texas State’s maximum mileage reimbursement rate for travel occurring between January 1, 2018 and December 31, 2018 was 54.5 cents per mile.
Travelers may use their personally owned vehicle for business purposes if it is more cost effective than renting a car, taking a taxi, or using alternative transportations, or if it saves time. Travelers authorized to travel by personally owned vehicles shall be reimbursed for mileage based on the current standard reimbursement rate approved by Cabinet. Mileage shall be calculated from the traveler’s designated headquarters to duty point or common carrier and back to designated headquarters.
Coordination of travel when two or more employees are traveling to the same duty point is encouraged.
- Vehicle odometer readings, or
- The mileage rate takes into account all actual automobile expenses such as fuel and lubrication, towing charges, repairs, replacements, tires, depreciation, insurance, etc. These and other automobile expenses will not be reimbursed when a personally owned vehicle is used.
- Parking and toll expenses will be reimbursed when properly documented on the travel reimbursement. Receipts are the prime form of documentation, but you may also use the TxTag Toll Calculator.
- When two or more persons on University business share a personally owned vehicle, only the driver may claim reimbursement for mileage.
- Expenses for travel between the traveler’s residence and headquarters (commuting expense) shall not be reimbursed.
- One round trip, including parking for the duration of the trip; or
- Two round trips, including short-term parking expenses, when a traveler is driven to a common carrier.
Mileage in Lieu of Air Travel when Traveling Outside of Texas
Cost of Fuel Rate
Use "Regular Gasoline Retail Price" U.S. rate.
For your Trip Optimizer, choose the U.S. retail price provided by the U.S. Energy Information Administation's weekly fuel update.
Note: The rate approved on your travel request will be the rate applied to the dates of travel on your expense report.
EIA: Gasoline and Diesel Fuel Update
U.S. Gasoline and Diesel Fuel Retail Prices (National and Regional)