Skip to Content

Foreign Travel


To travel under a sanctioned university trip to a foreign country and to be reimbursed for related expenses, the traveler must receive approval from the President or the President's approved delegate (Divisional Cabinet Officer, where applicable) before making the trip. This requirement also includes foreign guests coming to Texas State when Texas State is paying for the travel expenses.

  1. Complete a travel request in TRAVELTracks; non-employees must complete a travel application.
  2. All current Texas State students, employees, and guests of employees must complete and attach the applicable Release of Liability and Assumption of Risk for Foreign Travel form (T-4, T-4G, or T-4M) for university-sanctioned foreign trips, located on the Forms webpage.
  3. Review the information listed under the International Travel tab on the Office of Research & Sponsored Program's Export Control webpage.
  4. Submit the travel request or application for approvals ten (10) business days prior to departure. Approvals include the account manager, academic chair (if applicable), academic dean (if applicable), division Cabinet Officer, the President (if applicable), and the Office of Risk and Compliance.


U.S. Government Export Control

Texas State University must comply with all applicable U.S. government export control regulations. While most Texas State research and technology development is exempt from U.S. export control laws, these regulations may present complications for the conduct of research and academic activities. The International Travel Checklist is required to ensure traveler compliance with these regulations and to identify when a license or license exception is needed before traveling internationally. Additional information is available on the Office of Research and Sponsored Program's Export Control webpage.

Travel Assistance & Foreign Travel Insurance

On Call International (On Call) is the travel assistance provider for Texas State University international travelers. Wherever you go, Texas State University wants to help ensure your health and safety. If you are planning a university-sponsored trip outside of the United States, you have access to On Call, which provides medical and security services as well as foreign insurance coverage. These services are a great benefit in the event you need help while traveling. The university is transitioning to this new Duty of Care provider and processes are in development similar to those with the prior Duty of Care provider. When booking travel reservations through one of the university’s travel agencies (ASCOT or CTP), your itinerary is automatically forwarded to On Call. If your trip is booked personally or by a third party, you must manually forward the itinerary to On Call. Itinerary forwarding instructions as well as a summary of the On Call features, assistant app, and tools are all available in the Traveler Pre-trip Reference Guide. It is strongly advised to be aware of this information before traveling. Refer to this guide for access to the On Call website and the following:

  • Plan Contacts and Resources
  • Examples of situations you may encounter and what action to take
  • Overview and list of services and benefits offered by On Call
  • Information on additional medical, travel, and security assistance 
  • How to access medical care abroad
  • Adding On call to your phone contacts

In the coming weeks, you will be able to visit the On Call Plan Information Portal for other pre-trip resources, plan information, orientation video, contact details, and claims information. The Travel Assistance & Foreign Travel Insurance website contains the most up to date information for the On Call program, summaries, guides, and assistance app information. Continue to check this webpage for status updates regarding the On Call portal access. You will need the Texas State Group ID number from the Traveler Pre-trip Reference Guide to access the portal, when it becomes available. 

On Call may be reached from anywhere in the world by calling either 1 (855) 226-8499 (toll free from the US or Canada) or 1 (603) 328-1901 (collect). These contacts should be in your phone contact list. You will need the Texas State Group ID number, included in the Pre-trip Reference Guide, for these calls. Should you have any questions regarding foreign travel insurance, please contact the Office of EHSRM at (512) 245-3616 and ask for the Insurance Specialist.

Other Requirements

  1. Lodging and Meal & Incidental Expense Per Diem rates are payable in accordance with the Lodging and M&IE policies and rates approved by executive management.
  2. Foreign travel must be for the benefit of the State of Texas and any personal benefit thereby occurred must be solely incidental to the official purpose of the travel. It is the obligation of the individual employee who is traveling and his/her supervisors and executive head to ensure that all foreign travel conforms to this requirement.
  3. It is the policy of the Texas State University System not to approve a request for travel to a nation that is, at the time the request is received, subject to a travel advisory issued by the United States Department of State constituting a warning against or restriction on travel by United States citizens unless the traveler signs a waiver of liability, hold harmless, and assumption of risk release on a form approved by the Vice Chancellor and General Counsel. Contact the State Department’s offices in Washington at (202) 647-5226 to determine if a country is subject to such a travel advisory.
  4. The traveler must convert to United States dollars the travel expenses incurred in foreign currency and have the exchange rate on the travel voucher.

Expense Report Deadline and Currency Conversion Requirements

The completed expense report, including receipts, should be filed within thirty days after completing the trip. The traveler should also provide the foreign currency exchange rate on the expense report.  For receipt requirements and conversion methodologies, review the Receipt Requirements.

Helpful Links