Skip to Content

Travel Advances

Basic Guidance

Travel advances may be requested by an employee when at least one student is traveling with the employee or when travel involves a foreign destination.  Only employees may request a travel advance.  Students, contractors, or prospective employees may not request a travel advance. The minimum advance amount is $200.00 for domestic travel and $500.00 for foreign travel. 

Travel advances are issues no earlier than 14 days before the travel start date.  The travel advance is requested on the TRAVELTracks Travel Request and must be submitted to the Travel Office at least ten (10) university business days before the travel start date. If an advance is needed and the Travel Request has already been processed, the traveler must contact the Travel Office to reset the Travel Request so it may be modified for the advance. Once the traveler has adjusted the Travel Request for the advance, they must resubmit for approval through the workflow. 

The funds advanced will be deducted from the Travel Reimbursement payment when the Travel Reconciliation Expense Report is completed. This expense report must be completed and submitted to the Travel Office within 30 calendar days after the trip end date.

Additional guidance concerning travel advances may be found in UPPS 05.06.04.

Travel Advance Deposit Coding

The deposit of unused funds will be coded as General Ledger 101110 and Fund 2025031000.  Do not include a cost center on the deposit form.  Include the Trip Number in the description field.  Complete the deposit ticket with the appropriate coding and take to the Cashier’s Office with the unused advance funds for processing.  A copy of the deposit ticket must be attached to the Travel Reconciliation Expense Report.

Travel Return on Advance (ROA) Form

Use the Travel ROA deposit form when returning unused travel advance funds.  Only the 10-digit trip number may be entered in the Assignment field on the deposit form.  The completed form and cash or check should be taken to Student Business Services (JCK 188) for processing.

T-6 Travel Return on Advance Form

Paper Form Travel Advance

In some exception situations, it may be necessary to request an advance outside of TRAVELTracks. Please contact the Travel Office at 5-2775 to discuss.  If the advance cannot be completed using TRAVELTracks, the traveler will complete the T-5 Travel Advance Request Form. Once completed, the traveler must obtain the required approvals and submit the form to the Travel Office under that same timeframe as above.  The process for clearing and reconciling this type of advance is the same as when using TRAVELTracks.

T-5 Travel Advance Request Form