Payroll and Tax Compliance, part of the Financial Services group, is primarily responsible for:
- Producing and distribution payroll for approximately 8,000 employees
- Processing 12 monthly and 12 supplemental payrolls for faculty, staff and graduate assistants, and 24 semi-monthly payrolls for student and hourly employees.
- Providing electronic means of transmitting payroll information and payments via direct deposit.
- Remitting retirement contributions to the Teachers Retirement System (TRS) and Optional Retirement Program (ORP) approved providers.
- Processing insurance and flex remittances.
- Managing deduction requests for child and medical support, tax levies, creditor garnishments, bankruptcy orders, student loans and federal agency debt collections, charitable contributions and other voluntary deductions.
- Reporting to the TSUS office, state agencies, and outside vendors.
Tax Compliance and Reporting
- Withholding and remitting employment taxes to the IRS.
- Preparing and reporting monthly, quarterly and year end tax information including issuing over 12,000 IRS Forms W-2, W-2C, and 1042S.
- State tax withholding and remitting for TXST employees working and/or living outside the State of Texas.
- Filing Texas State University annual tax returns.
Nonresident Alien Tax Compliance
- Administering tax treaties and exemption in accordance with federal regulations.
- Adhering to nonresident alien tax guidelines to set-up new foreign vendors, approve payments to foreign vendors and report non-qualified scholarship payments.
- Withholding and remitting NRA taxes.
- Conducting tax software workshops for international students during tax season.