Applying to the Program
Students are accepted for entrance into the School Psychology Program each spring and begin their coursework in the Fall. Therefore the priority application deadline for applying to our program is February 1, with a final application deadline of May 1. Faculty will begin reviewing applications on February 15 and continue to review applications on a rolling basis until all student openings are filled.
The first step in applying for admission into our program is to complete an application online at SLATE. Once you complete the application, it will take approximately 48 to 72 hours for The Graduate College to receive it. Once they receive it, an email will be sent to you giving you instructions on how to activate your NetID. Once you have activated your NetID, you will go into GADU (Graduate Admissions Document Upload system) and enter in the names and email addresses of your recommenders. The system will then automatically send an email to them explaining how they should submit their recommendation. You will also upload your statement of purpose and resume through GADU. Official transcripts must come from the issuing school either electronically at firstname.lastname@example.org or via mail at: Texas State University, ATTN: The Graduate College, 601 University Drive, San Marcos, TX 78666-4684.
Review of applications begins on the deadline date; please have all materials submitted to Graduate College two weeks prior to deadline to ensure receipt.
For questions about application material submissions or to determine whether your application is complete, please contact the Graduate College at 512-245-2581.
1) Three (3) Reference Letters: You must enter the names and email addresses of your recommenders in GADU. These individuals will receive an email asking them to write a letter of recommendation to be appended to your application. For additional important information about reference letters, please see "Who should write my letters of reference" on our FAQ page
3) Official Transcripts, including documentation of three (3) undergraduate *prerequisites:
- Abnormal Psychology (or equivalent course)
- Developmental Psychology (or equivalent course such as Lifespan Development)
- Statistics (or equivalent course)
*Prerequisite courses may be completed at any regionally accredited university, college, or community college.
4) Statement of Purpose: Upload to GADU a typed, 2-3 page, double-spaced statement (which will be evaluated for content, style, and quality) that addresses the following:
- Your professional goals.
- Why you are pursuing training in School Psychology rather than in other mental health disciplines (e.g., school counseling, clinical psychology, marriage and family counseling).
- Considering your total application, what you feel are your major strengths and weaknesses with respect to the School Psychology program.
- Elements you feel warrant explanation (e.g., GRE score, grade point average, etc.).
5) Graduate Record Exam (GRE) admission requirements for School Psychology Program:
- Official GRE scores must be submitted.
- GREs should reflect competitive scores in the verbal reasoning and quantitative reasoning sections.
- Please take the General Test.
- Please note: ETS is offers the GRE online. For more information please see:Take the GRE online