Skip to main content

History and Traditions

Our History

Authorized by the Texas legislature in 1899, Southwest Texas State Normal School opened its doors in 1903. Over the years, we've broadened our scope and changed our name a few times as well:

  • 1918: Southwest Texas State Normal College
  • 1923: Southwest Texas State Teachers College
  • 1959: Southwest Texas State College
  • 1969: Southwest Texas State University
  • 2003: Texas State University-San Marcos
  • 2013: Texas State University

Each name reflects our growth from a small teaching institution to a major, multipurpose university. Through our nine academic colleges, Texas State offers nearly 200 undergraduate and post-graduate degrees to serve the needs of future generations of Texans.

Traditions and Landmarks