Spring 2014 Ensemble Auditions
- Trumpet auditions will be held on Monday, December 2, starting at 11 a.m.
- Trombone auditions will be held on Monday, December 2, starting at 3 p.m.
- Saxophone auditions will be held on Tuesday, December 3, starting at 3 p.m.
- Rhythm section auditions will be held on Wednesday, December 4, at 12:30 p.m. in Room 216
Sign-up sheets for all auditions will be posted on the Jazz Studies bulletin board (outside Room 145). Please sign up for the earliest time slot you are able to make!
Jazz Big Band auditions are low-pressure and consist of the following:
- A short prepared excerpt of your choosing (transcribed solo, etude, etc.)
- Improvisation; optional, but strongly encouraged (play-along accompaniment will be provided)
- Rhythm section players audition in sections and will be asked sight-read charts and demonstrate jazz style competency (walking/timekeeping in swing, bossa nova, ballad, etc.).
- Guitar Players: Knowledge of jazz voicings and comping styles is required to be placed in a jazz ensemble
About the Ensembles
The Texas State jazz ensembles explore a full spectrum of big band sounds, ranging from classic swing to high-energy latin and funk. Jazz ensembles and combos are open to all qualified university students by audition. Ensembles count for one credit per semester.
Directed by Dr. Russell Haight
MWF, 11 a.m.–12:15 p.m.
Directed by Dr. Keith Winking
MWF, 11 a.m.–12 p.m.
Jazz Lab Band
Directed by Freddie Mendoza
MW, 12:30 p.m.–1:50 p.m.
Coordinated by Freddie Mendoza
Times to be arranged