Audition Requirements for Prospective Jazz Studies Graduate Students
- Prepare the melody to one medium/medium-up swing jazz standard of your choice and improvise at least three choruses
- Prepare at least one blues head and improvise on the changes
- Prepare the melody to the jazz standard "All The Things You Are" and improvise at least one chorus
- Prepare the melody to one standard jazz ballad and improvise at least one chorus
- Prepare all major, harmonic minor, and diminished scales
In addition to the above, bass players should be prepared to walk an uptempo bass line and/or demonstrate a "two-feel" for the tunes above.
Jazz drummers and pianists audition with the same material required of undergraduates (above).
There is no classical audition requirement for graduate students.