Spring 2016 Big Band Auditions
Spring Big Band audition sign-up sheets are posted on the jazz bulletin board outside of room 241 (Dr. Winking's office). Auditions are open to all students, regardless of major.
- Trumpet, trombone, and saxophone auditions will be held on Monday, November 30 beginning at 11 a.m. Trumpet auditions will be held in Dr. Winking's office (241), saxophone auditions in Dr. Haight's office (249), and trombone auditions in Paul Deemer's office.
- Rhythm Section auditions will be held on Wednesday, December 2, starting at 12:20 p.m. in room 216.
Spring Combo Auditions
Spring combo audition dates will be announced soon.
Jazz auditions are low-pressure and consist of the following:
- A short prepared excerpt of your choosing (transcribed solo, etude, etc.)
- Improvisation; optional, but strongly encouraged (play-along accompaniment will be provided)
- Rhythm section players audition in sections and will be asked sight-read charts and demonstrate jazz style competency (walking/timekeeping in swing, bossa nova, ballad, etc.).
- Guitar Players: Knowledge of jazz voicings and comping styles is required to be placed in a jazz ensemble
About the Ensembles
The Texas State jazz ensembles explore a full spectrum of big band sounds, ranging from classic swing to high-energy latin and funk. Jazz ensembles and combos are open to all qualified university students by audition. Ensembles count for one credit per semester.
Directed by Dr. Russell Haight
MWF, 11 a.m.–12:15 p.m.
Directed by Dr. Keith Winking
MWF, 11 a.m.–12 p.m.
Jazz Lab Band
Directed by Dr. Stephen Hawk
MW, 12:30 p.m.–1:50 p.m.
Times to be arranged