Spring 2015 Big Band Auditions
Spring Big Band auditions sheets are posted today on the jazz bulletin board outside of room 241.
- Rhythm Section auditions will be held on Monday, December 1, starting at noon in room 216.
- Trumpet auditions will be held on Wednesday, December 3rd, from 11:00-2:00 in room 241.
- Trombone and Saxophone auditions will be held on Thursday, December 4th, from 2:00-4:00. Saxophone in Dr. Haight's office and Trombone in Paul Deemer's office
Jazz auditions are low-pressure and consist of the following:
- A short prepared excerpt of your choosing (transcribed solo, etude, etc.)
- Improvisation; optional, but strongly encouraged (play-along accompaniment will be provided)
- Rhythm section players audition in sections and will be asked sight-read charts and demonstrate jazz style competency (walking/timekeeping in swing, bossa nova, ballad, etc.).
- Guitar Players: Knowledge of jazz voicings and comping styles is required to be placed in a jazz ensemble
About the Ensembles
The Texas State jazz ensembles explore a full spectrum of big band sounds, ranging from classic swing to high-energy latin and funk. Jazz ensembles and combos are open to all qualified university students by audition. Ensembles count for one credit per semester.
Directed by Dr. Russell Haight
MWF, 11 a.m.–12:15 p.m.
Directed by Dr. Keith Winking
MWF, 11 a.m.–12 p.m.
Jazz Lab Band
Directed by Dr. Stephen Hawk
MW, 12:30 p.m.–1:50 p.m.
Times to be arranged