The noblest search is the search for excellence.
—Lyndon B. Johnson
Thirty-Sixth President of the United States, 1963-1969
Texas State University Class of 1930
Texas State University-San Marcos is a public, student-centered, Emerging Research University dedicated to excellence in serving the educational needs of the diverse population of Texas and the world beyond.
Our Shared Values
In pursuing our mission, we, the faculty, staff, and students of Texas State University-San Marcos, are guided by a shared collection of values. Specifically, we value:
- An exceptional undergraduate experience as the heart of what we do;
- Graduate education as a means of intellectual growth and professional development;
- A diversity of people and ideas, a spirit of inclusiveness, a global perspective, and a sense of community as essential conditions for campus life;
- The cultivation of character and the modeling of honesty, integrity, compassion, fairness, respect, and ethical behavior, both in the classroom and beyond;
- Engaged teaching and learning based in dialogue, student involvement, and the free exchange of ideas;
- Research, scholarship, and creative activity as fundamental sources of new knowledge and as expressions of the human spirit;
- A commitment to public service as a resource for personal, educational, cultural, and economic development;
- Thoughtful reflection, collaboration, planning, and evaluation as essential for meeting the changing needs of those we serve.
The mission statement was approved by The Texas State University System Board of Regents on August 24, 2012 and by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board at its January 24, 2013 meeting.
Goal 1: Promote academic quality by building and supporting a distinguished faculty.
Goal 2: Provide opportunities for a public university education and contribute to economic and cultural development.
Goal 3: Provide a premier student-centered, educational experience that fosters retention and success.
Goal 4: Enrich our learning and working environment by attracting and supporting a more diverse faculty, staff, and student body.
Goal 5: Develop and manage human, financial, physical, and technological resources effectively, efficiently, and ethically to support the university’s mission.
View the entire 2012-2017 University Plan