Vision and Mission
Veteran Academic Success Center
The Veteran Academic Success Center (VASC) strives to become a premier support resource assisting military-connected students* (MCS) in achieving academic success.
The Veteran Academic Success Center (VASC) is a collaborative effort between the university and the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) to provide military-connected students* (MCS) with resources and a peer assistance program (Guides & Tutors) to support academic success. The peer assistance program is a multi-tiered approach including transitional assistance, social support, and academic services. Guides provide transitional assistance through the university sponsorship program, information on VA education benefits, and social support as required. Tutors deliver academic services for difficult content areas such as science, technology, engineering, math, business, Spanish, writing or refer for study skills services and other specialized academic assistance.
A primary focal point is MCS* who are within their first three semesters of collegiate education when the challenge can be the most difficult for students in their transition from military service to college.
- Assist MCS* during their first three semesters as they transition from military service to academia through sponsorship and support as required
- Guide and socially support MCS* by providing information about VA education benefits, the sharing of personal success experiences &/or direct referral to on-campus and off-campus resources
- Tutor MCS* in science, technology, engineering, math, business, Spanish, and writing
- Refer MCS* directly to study skills services and other specialized academic assistance
- Partner with non-profit support organizations that provide MCS* and their families social and therapeutic resources
*Military-Connected Students: active duty military including Reserves & National Guard, veteran, &/or their spouse and children that are utilizing a VA educational benefits