Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ)
Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ)
The TCEQ is dedicated to the protection of the environment and human health through the responsible licensing of individuals whose occupations may have an environmental impact. Please visit the TCEQ website for information regarding preparation, requirements, and approvals that you must have before you take an occupational licensing exam.
Texas State University has two locations that provide the TCEQ computer-based testing. You may test at our main campus in San Marcos or at our campus in Round Rock. Please review this website and choose the location that is most convenient for your needs. If you have any questions, please contact the location where you wish to test. For testing at San Marcos, please call TEMC at 512.245.2276. For testing at Round Rock, please call 512.716.4020.
Step 1. Register for your TCEQ exam. Visit the TCEQ website to register or call 512-239-1000 for assistance.
Step 2. Pay your Texas State administration fee. Texas State University requires an administration fee based on the time limit of the exam. See Available Exams and Time Limits.
Up to 2 hours = $40 Up to 3 hours = $50 Up to 4 hours = $60
- To take your TCEQ at the San Marcos campus, visit the SM TCEQ payment page
- To take your TCEQ at the Round Rock campus, visit the RR TCEQ payment page
Bring the printed receipt as proof you paid.
OR, you may pay your administration fee using a credit or debit card on the day of your test at a secure Market Place kiosk at your preferred testing location. Arrive a little early to make payment the day of your exam.
Step 3. Decide when to take the test. TCEQ exams are offered on a walk-in basis, no appointment needed, any day that the TEMC San Marcos Testing Lab and Testing Center, Round Rock are open.
- To test at San Marcos, visit the TEMC San Marcos Testing Lab Hours page for available testing times.
- To test at Round Rock, visit the Testing Center, Round Rock Hours page for available testing times.
If you plan to re-test on the same day, arrive early enough to take two exams. All testing must be completed the day it is started and end 30 minutes prior to closing of the testing facility.
Step 4. On the test day please bring your printed approval form from TCEQ, your administration fee receipt, your social security number, and approved forms of identification. You will not be allowed to test unless you have all the required documentation and identification with you.
Note: TEMC cannot provide refunds for any fees or other payments beyond five business days from the date of payment.
TCEQ allows retakes of exams. Please review your options at the TCEQ website. If you choose to do an immediate retest of your exam, first you must be eligible to do so, and pay any testing and administration fees for the second exam before starting the retake exam. Additionally, you will need to complete the second exam 30 minutes prior to closing time of the testing facility.
- Valid government-issued identification with photo and signature (i.e., driver’s license, passport, state-issued ID, military ID, etc.)
- Second form of ID (i.e., any of the previously listed photo IDs, social security card, birth certificate, credit or debit card, student ID, library card, etc.)
- Social Security number, required to login to TCEQ exam
- Hats or jackets, if needed for the weather, these items must be placed with the proctor;
- electronic equipment including cell phones, smart watches, pagers, two-way radios, all devices with a camera;
- food or drinks;
- study guides or notes, except for Municipal Solid Waste Class A & B guides and notes.
There are NO lunch or restroom breaks allowed, except for “A” exams.
- Non-programmable calculators;
- government-issued photo and signature ID;
- confirmation of exam registration;
- failure or approval letters or approved application printout; and
- only for Municipal Solid Waste Class A and Municipal Solid Waste Class B - study guides and notes.
If you have a disability and need special accommodations when you take an operational licensing exam, contact TCEQ at 512-239-6133 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: Do not register for your exam until you have been approved for your special accommodation request.
EXAMS AVAILABLE ON CBT as of May 2019 Time Limit BACKFLOW PREVENTION ASSEMBLY TESTER 3 HR CUSTOMER SERVICE INSPECTOR 3 HR GROUNDWATER OPERATOR CLASS B 3 HR GROUNDWATER OPERATOR CLASS C 3 HR LANDSCAPE IRRIGATION INSPECTOR 3 HR LANDSCAPE IRRIGATION TECHNICIAN 3 HR MUNCIPAL SOLID WASTE CLASS A 4 HR MUNICIPAL SOLID WASTE CLASS B 2 HR OSSF DESIGNATED REPRESENTATIVE 3 HR OSSF MAINTENANCE PROVIDER 3 HR SURFACE WATER OPERATOR CLASS B 3 HR SURFACE WATER OPERATOR CLASS C 3 HR WASTEWATER OPERATOR CLASS B 3 HR WASTEWATER OPERATOR CLASS C 3 HR WASTEWATER OPERATOR CLASS D 3 HR WASTEWATER COLLECTION OPERATOR CLASS I 3 HR WASTEWATER COLLECTION OPERATOR CLASS II 3 HR WATER DISTRIBUTION OPERATOR CLASS B 3 HR WATER DISTRIBUTION OPERATOR CLASS C 3 HR WATER OPERATOR CLASS D 3 HR WATER TREATMENT SPECIALIST CLASS I 3 HR WATER TREATMENT SPECIALIST CLASS II 3 HR WATER TREATMENT SPECIALIST CLASS III 3 HR