Research Electronic Data Capture (REDCap) is a secure, web-based platform for building and managing electronic databases. It offers a variety of customizable research tools to facilitate efficient and reliable data collection. All data entered in REDCap is stored on a secure server hosted by Texas State University.
Features of this application include:
- An intuitive interface for validated data collection.
- Instrument designs with options for a variety of data fields.
- Individual institutional logins for research personnel with restricted access available for different project roles.
- Automated data exports for seamless downloads to common statistical packages (Excel, SAS, Stata, R, SPSS, and XML).
- Audit trails for tracking data manipulation and histories of exports.
- Features to support HIPAA and FERPA compliance of confidential and sensitive data.
- Codebooks summarizing variable attributes and notes (in PDF form).
- Scheduling calendars for tracking participant data collection.
- Capabilities for survey distribution.
- Advanced features for longitudinal research projects.
- Data sharing rights and permissions for multi-site studies.
(Harris et al., 2019, 2009)