Wim Geerts Scholarship
"What Bird is that? What is its name?"
"Richard I can tell you the name when I knew it in all the languages of the world, but than you only know how people call it in different places. You wouldn't learn anything from it. You gotta look at the bird, listen to the bird, you gotta try to understand what it is doing".
Discussion between Richard Feynman and his dad in Infinity, 1996.
- Magneto-elastic and Magneto-plastic properties of thin films: NiGa and NiMnGa thin films.
- Properties of novel transition metal oxides
- Optical spatial modulators and their use in imaging
- Measurement techniques: ellipsometry, interferometry, Kerr magnetometry, Kerr microscopy, rotating field magnetostriction measurement technique, van der Pauw four point probe measurement technique, CV analysis, spreading resistance measurement technique, dlts, IVT measurements.
Openings in Research Projects 2020:
1. Hall and DLTS Measurements on NiFeO thin films sputtered at different at oxygen flow. Determination of Carrier type, identification of deep trap states.
2. MOKE setup that allows for magnetic hysteresis curve measurements on samples that are exposed to a tensile strain.
Current and Past Students:
2018: Chandler Hutton Salomon Gallegos James Dobbins Samuel Kimmel(Chemistry) Andres Oliva(EE) Brian Collier Joselyn Lesikar Anival Ayala
2017: Md. Ahad Talukder Fidele Twagirayezu Anival Ayala Amanda Gregory Armando Gallegos (EE)
Aaron Medina Maria Chappell Mayuko Stauffeneger
2016: Michael Measom Sudarshan Luitel Darrell Adams Jose Majorga Cole Stevenson Yubo Cui David Torres Darren Miller
2015: James Shook Josh Thompson Leonardo Escandon Ricky Scott
2014: Maclyn Compton Ryan Laughin Joseph Sadler Michael Robinson (EE)
2013: Elizabeth Leblanc Javad Gatabi Nelson Simpson Brice Williams Garrett McSpaden Bill McKenna Rudy Holz
2012: Cynthia Montgomery Bryant Aaron (CS) Geoffrey Miller (Math) Hanu Arava
2011: Hector Valdez Alan Woodall Brandon Dillard
2010: Clint Bordelon Cliff Thompson Kyle Smith Amanda Gregory
2008: Conrad Newton Clayton Moore Chris Lohn Daniel Palmer(CS)
2007: Chris O'Brien Elaine Tennant Jonathan Garrett
2006: Daniel Fenter David Delgado Joel Dunn,
2005: Sonny Garcia Martin Hodo Matthew McDougle Miguel Bernal Vincent Sombroek
2004: Hans-Willem ten Brinke Dennis Jordan Larry Foulkrod
2003: Jacob Grimes Wendy Avila Jett Hendrixs
2002: Claude Garrett Chris Brown
2001: Brian Donehew Brenda Wilson Dustin Ragan Nazul Rivera Bobby Duran
2000: Charlie Watts Christie Weidner Dr. Archana Dubey Philip Smith (PJ) Patrick Holland Anita Acevedo
1999: Wayne Lewis Valerie Cuming Ena Bichsel
1998: Andrew Schuetze Harsha Abeywickrema
Donations and Sponsors
Available equipment in the Optical Characterization Laboratory
Manuals of Equipment
High field MO Kerr magnetometry (NHMFL)
Dissertation Thesis database library