TXDoT begins Sessom Drive construction
Posted by Jayme Blaschke
University News Service
May 17, 2010
The Texas Department of Transportation will begin a project to mill and overlay Sessom Drive May 17. The work is expected to be conducted in the evening hours after 8 p.m. and should take approximately one month to complete.
Motorists are advised to watch for lane closures and construction crews from now until early summer on the busy roadway that runs behind Texas State University and provides access to major residential areas in western San Marcos.
Other projects scheduled in the Sessom North-LBJ area in the next two years will include:
- Pedestrian safety improvements at Sessom and University/ Aquarena Springs
- Sidewalk improvements along Sessom on the campus side of the street
- Realignment and new traffic signals at the intersection at Peques and State Street
- Construction of a 24-inch water line from the Spring Lake pump station to the Comanche water storage tank
- Complete reconstruction of North LBJ Drive from Sessom to Holland Street, with a new 12-inch water line, storm drains, curbs and gutters, street reconstruction and eight-foot sidewalks on both sides of the street.
Sessom Drive is a major arterial for Texas State students, University personnel and the general public in San Marcos. The roadway was built in the 1970’s and has had few major improvements in the past 30 years.
For additional information, contact Carlton Hall in Facilities Planning at (512) 753-9745.