Hurricane Ike preparations update
Students, faculty and staff at Texas State University-San Marcos are urged to prepare for potentially severe weather Friday and Saturday, Sept. 12 and 13.
University officials are closely monitoring the approach of Hurricane Ike to the Texas Gulf Coast. Current estimates indicate that rain and increased wind velocity may occur in San Marcos as early as mid-afternoon on Friday.
At this time, the university remains open and office hours, classes and food service at Jones Food Court and Harris and Commons dining halls will continue to operate during normally scheduled hours. See dining hours here: http://www.dineoncampus.com/txstate/?cmd=Menus
In the event of severe weather, students are advised to stay inside. Outdoor items, such as lawn chairs and plants, should be moved indoors or tightly secured. Students, faculty and staff should consider assembling a basic emergency kit. Items that should be considered for inclusion may be found here: http://www.ready.gov/america/npm08/getakit.html
Over the weekend, from 5 p.m. Friday until 7 a.m. Monday, the Speck Street, Wood Street, Pleasant Street and LBJ Student Center parking garages will be open and free of charge for parking regardless of permit zone. Scooters and motorcycles may not be taken into residence halls or apartments.
In the event of closures or cancellations due to the weather, that information will be announced via several methods, including:
- The university home page at www.txstate.edu
- E-mail from the University News Service or the University Police Department to all students, faculty and staff
- Messages recorded on the university news hotline at 512.245.2424
- Text messages sent to subscribers of Mobile Campus. (For information on Mobile Campus, click here: https://bobcats.mobilecampus.com/)
- Voicemail messages sent to all campus telephones
- Local media announcements
- Texas State weather emergency siren system
Information on the university’s home page will be updated as new information becomes available. You are encouraged to check the Web site for updates frequently.
Last updated: 9/11/08 at 5:15 p.m.