Residential Camp Information
The Residential JSMC is an immersive summer program for middle school students who are excited about doing mathematics. The goal of the program is to develop young students into creative and critical thinkers. We nurture students' interests and abilities to pursue higher-level math courses and degrees and careers in math, science, engineering, and many other fields.
Campers arrive at Texas State University on a Sunday afternoon, where they get to know their study group, counselors, and fellow campers. The next two weeks include daily mathematics classes taught by university professors, study group sessions, recreation time, and various camp outings.
The Residential Junior Summer Math Camp is a full-time, in-person experience. We structure this program so that you will have time to bond with other campers, develop as a problem solver and researcher, and become an integral part of the Mathworks community. It is important not to take on any additional obligations that might interfere with your participation in camp activities. Therefore, we do not allow campers in JSMCR to take online courses or participate in other programs, in person or online, during camp.
- To be eligible you must:
- Currently be in the 6th, 7th, or 8th grade
- Submit an Application, Teacher Recommendation, and Transcript/Report Card
- Students are encouraged to apply early as enrollment is limited to 60 openings. Admission decisions will not be made until we have received all parts of a student's application (online application, teacher recommendation, and school transcript).
- Our average acceptance rate for applicants has been less than 33%.
|Round||Submit a complete application by||Decision by (Accept/Decline/Defer*)|
|Round 1||February 15||February 23|
|Round 2||March 15||March 30|
|Round 3 (Final Round)||April 16||April 20|
*If you are deferred to the next round you must wait until next round decisions are announced to find out if your status has changed.
Expenses and Financial Aid
Program cost for camp 2022 is $1,600. Need-based scholarships are available.
- No payment is required until your student has been accepted by the selection committee.
- Upon selection, your student's spot in the summer math program is ensured only when you have paid in full.
- Includes room and board, supplies, workbook, daily snack, and a math camp t-shirt.
- Students may receive need-based scholarships depending on family income and circumstances. Scholarships are provided by the Mathworks endowment and the generous support of foundations, corporations, and individuals.
Refund schedule: There is a non refundable $25 fee for application processing.(This fee is already included in your tuition and is not paid separately)
- Full refund: if you withdraw your student before May 1st
- Half refund: if you withdraw your student before May 15th
- No refunds: if withdrawing on or after May 15th
Sample Daily Schedule - Regular schedule when face-to-face
|8:00-Noon||Class (with breaks)*|
|2:00-5:00pm||Recreation and Free Time|
*Topics in the morning classes in the past have included:
- Counting Techniques
- Number Theory
- Advanced Geometry (similarities, mass-point geometry, etc.)
- Advanced Algebraic Problem-Solving