Teacher Professional Development Information
The Mathworks Summer Teacher Professional Development program prepares teachers to engage students of all socioeconomic backgrounds in doing mathematics at a high level. This program provides teacher professional development, equipping middle school teachers with the mathematical background and leadership training needed to give all students the opportunity to build a strong foundation to succeed in mathematics.
- Give teachers strategies to successfully teach pre-algebra and algebraic concepts at the middle school level
- Equip teachers with research-based teaching practices
- Inform teachers of pedagogy aligned to students success on the STAAR
- Provide opportunities for teachers to work with Mathematics Education graduate students and faculty on research
- Give teachers experiences with hands-on activities and guided discovery learning aligned to middle school mathematics
- Engage teachers in continual learning and doing of mathematics
- Involve teachers in analyzing classroom practices
- Equip teachers to become invaluable resources to colleagues in their own schools and districts
- Enable teachers to host their own Junior Summer Math Camps for 4th-8th grade students
- Enable teachers to use the Mathworks school-year curriculum, Math Explorations
The dates for 2019 are June 10 - 21. This immersive two-week professional development program is conducted each summer in San Marcos in early June, coinciding with the Junior Summer Math Camp (JSMC) program. In the morning, participants will be a part of the half-day Junior Summer Math Camp program. In the afternoon, teachers participate in a class covering research-based mathematics pedagogy and engaging math activities. A total of 45 hours of Professional Continuing Education hours is awarded, approved by the State Board of Educator Certification (SBEC).
Room & Board
If you require room and boarding, we will arrange for that on the Texas State University campus. You are responsible for transportation from the University campus to the JSMC site every day of the program, which will be the high school in San Marcos (~15 minute drive from the University campus). If you do not require room and board, you simply need to arrive at the JSMC site every day of the program.
Sample Daily Schedule
|7:30am - 8am||Arrive at JSMC site each morning|
|8am - Noon||Participate in the JSMC as a Teaching Assistant|
|12:30pm - 4:00pm||Afternoon Professional Development Class|