Skip to Content

Paths to Graduate in the Honors College

Students have two choices to graduate in the Honors College:

1. The Traditional Path OR 2. The Minor in Honors Studies.

Benefits Shared By Both

  • Receive a medallion to wear at graduation
  • Awarded special recognition in the graduation commencement booklet  with your name, thesis, and supervising professor appearing in a separate list
  • Earn a special Honors designation on transcript upon graduation

Creating the thesis can also prove a benefit when applying to graduate or professional school, or applying to a job after graduation. Admissions committees in many of the best graduate and professional schools often consider students especially well qualified who have already participated successfully in the original research represented by an honors thesis.

1. The Traditional Path

To graduate in the Honors College through the traditional path, students must complete a minimum of 15 credit hours, typically 5 honors courses.

  • The 15 hours must include HON 4390B (Thesis).
  • You must maintain a 3.25 GPA.

2. The Minor in Honors Studies

To graduate in the Honors College through the minor in Honors Studies, students must complete a minimum of 21 credit hours, typically 7 honors courses. 

  •  The 21 hours must include HON 4390A (Senior Seminar) and HON 4390B (Thesis) along with two advanced honors classes (3000 or 4000 level). Of the advanced courses, a maximum of 2 may be Honors Contract courses. Honors Contract courses may not be counted for both the minor and the major. A maximum of 3 Honors courses may be counted to satisfy both General Education Core Curriculum requirements and the minor.       
  • Evidence of study abroad/international experience or evidence of cross-cultural competency. For more information, click here.
Expand or Collapse all.
  • BGS majors with an Honors minor should meet jointly with representatives from both the BGS program and Honors if interested in substituting HON 4390B for GNST 4350.