Skip to Content

Foreign Travel

To travel under a sanctioned university trip to a foreign country and to be reimbursed for related expenses, the traveler must receive approval from the President or the President's approved delegate (Divisional Cabinet Officer where applicable) before making the trip.  This requirement also includes foreign guests coming to Texas State and Texas State is paying for the travel expenses.


  1. Complete a travel request in TRAVELTracks or travel application (for non-employees).
  2. All current Texas State students, employees, and guests of employees must complete and attach the applicable Release of Liability and Assumption of Risk for Foreign Travel form (T-4, T-4G, or T-4M) for University-sanctioned foreign trips, located on the Forms webpage.
  3. Review the information listed under the International Travel tab on the Office of Research Integrity & Compliance (ORIC) Export Controls webpage.
  4. Submit the travel request or application for approvals ten (10) business days prior to departure. Approvals include the account manager, academic chair (if applicable), academic dean (if applicable), division Cabinet Officer, the President (if applicable), and the Office of Risk and Compliance.

U.S. Government Export Control

Texas State University must comply with all applicable U.S. government export control regulations. While most Texas State research and technology development is exempt from U.S. export control laws, these regulations may present complications to the conduct of research and academic activities. The International Travel Checklist requirement is used to ensure traveler compliance with these regulations and identifying when a license or license exception is needed before traveling internationally. More Export Control information can be found at

Travel Assistance and Foreign Travel Insurance

International SOS is the travel assistance provider for Texas State University travelers.

Wherever you go, Texas State University wants to help ensure your health and safety. If you are planning a university-sponsored trip outside of the United States, you have access to the International SOS program, which provides medical and security services. This service is a great benefit in the event you need help while traveling.

Before your trip, take advantage of International SOS' pre-trip planning services. Check on the latest travel and safety alerts, including health risks and other important news. Sign in to receive health alerts, security alerts, and more. Download the Assistance App, which provides health and security updates. Click on the below link to access Texas State’s membership number in order to log in.

During your trip, if you experience an issue while traveling abroad, call International SOS for assistance. This service can help you find a doctor or hospital, access prescription drugs, and more. In extreme instances, International SOS can even arrange to have you evacuated. Plus, you'll receive assistance with other issues, such as access to money, legal service referrals, and language and communications assistance.

For more information, visit and enter your membership number. While in the US, you can reach International SOS at (215) 942-8226. If outside the US, see your International SOS membership card for the appropriate phone number.

Should you have any questions regarding foreign travel insurance, please contact the Travel Office at (512) 245-2775.

To view the MyTrips User Guide, Quick Training Reference, Pocket Reference Card (for international travel), FAQs for forwarding your travel itinerary to ISOS, or how to File a Claim, visit Travel Assistance & Foreign Travel Insurance. Please note, the ISOS processes can be used to receive alerts while traveling domestically. You will still contact 911 or your insurance provider if there is an emergency while traveling domestically.

Other Requirements

  1. Lodging and Meal & Incidental Expense Per Diem rates are payable in accordance with the Lodging and M&IE policies and rates approved by executive management.
  2. Foreign travel must be for the benefit of the State of Texas and any personal benefit thereby occurred must be solely incidental to the official purpose of the travel. It is the obligation of the individual employee who is traveling and his/her supervisors and executive head to ensure that all foreign travel conforms to this requirement.
  3. It is the policy of the Texas State University System not to approve a request for travel to a nation that is, at the time the request is received, subject to a travel advisory issued by the United States Department of State constituting a warning against or restriction on travel by United States citizens unless the traveler signs a waiver of liability, hold harmless, and assumption of risk release on a from approved by the Vice Chancellor and General Counsel. Contact the State Department’s offices in Washington at (202) 647-5226, to determine if a country is subject to such a travel advisory.
  4. The traveler must convert to United States dollars the travel expenses incurred in foreign currency and have the exchange rate on the travel voucher.

Currency Conversion Requirements

The completed expense report, including receipts, should be filed within ten days after completion of the trip. The traveler should also provide the foreign currency exchange rate on the expense report.  For receipt requirements and conversion methodologies, go to Receipt Requirements.

Helpful Links