AP Frequently Asked Questions
GLs & Cost Assignments
- An original itemized receipt is required for reimbursement.
- A credit card receipt with only the total amount is not sufficient documentation.
- If the company is being paid directly, the invoice must include the remittance address.
If the expense is a contracted service, please use the Contracted Services Payment Voucher (Form FS-03) located on the AP Forms page. Contact Procurement and Strategic Sourcing for questions about contracted services.
An invoice and a goods receipt or signature approval are required for payment to be made against a PO. Payment is processed once all three matching pieces are received by Accounts Payable.
This information should serve as a reference guide for reviewing payment questions and verification of vendor payments. Please review the How to Search for Vendor Payment Information instructions.
The vendor has not received payment for an invoice, but the charge hit my budget. How did this happen?
When a valuated goods receipt is processed on a purchase order, the expense shown on the purchase order hits your budget. This means that your account could be charged before the invoice is paid. When payment is made, the expense is adjusted to reflect the actual dollar amount paid.
* Complete the Texas State Vendor Maintenance Request/Substitute W-9 (FS-01) located on the Purchasing office's Vendor Self-service page.
* Vendor must complete the form and email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Contact Procurement at (512) 245-2521 with any questions.
* Once the vendor has been issued a vendor number, create your Purchase Order.
* Order your merchandise.
* Invoices should be emailed to email@example.com or mailed directly to Accounts Payable, PO Box 747, San Marcos, TX, 78667.
* Submit Goods Receipt or signature approval.
* Payment can be processed.
One-time Vendors: Use vendor #700001 for payments to non-employees for refunds or reimbursements (including travel). These payments are issued by check unless for a foreign entity whose bank does not accept a U.S. bank check, which you will need to confirm with the foreign entity. In those cases, payment will be issued by wire transfer and you will need to complete an AP-3 Wire Transfer Request with all the required data. Note: All payments for services or products require a unique vendor number in SAP. For assistance regarding vendor maintenance, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Coffee and bottled water are permitted. Food items are only reimbursable according to the Business Meals Policy.
Based on tax regulations and UPPS, the gift must be under $400 to remain non-taxable. E&G funds is limited to $100. Other university or personal funds can be used.
No. A Purchase Order must be created for any asset. For specific questions about assets, please contact Cruz Jaimes in Materials Management.
The contractor's signature can either be emailed or faxed, but the Account Manager signature must be original. Required approvals are the Dean/Director, OSP (Grants), VP (if required), and Tax Specialist.
For PO's that do not require goods receipts, the approval confirms that the service/repair/installation was completed satisfactorily by the vendor. Approvals by departmental staff rather than requiring Account Manager approval on the invoice is allowed. This is consistent with the process for goods receipts as the Account Manager has already approved payment upon creation of the PO.