EMT Training Program
- Class begins Tuesday, August 27, 2019, at 6 p.m.
- Clinical and field internships begin on date TBA
- Classes will meet online as well as on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and some Saturdays
- Tuesdays and Thursdays: 6 p.m. to 10 p.m.
- Some Saturdays: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Program ends on December 14, 2019
$1,600 - the cost includes:
- JB Learning Flipped Classroom with Premier Access
- Virtual Lecture Series
- Audio and Video Presentations
- Flash Cards for Study
- Online Homework Assignments
- JB Learning’s Navigate NREMT Test Prep Program
- Two uniform shirts and an identification badge
- Use of training aids, instruments, and equipment
- Cadaver Anatomy Lab
- AHA - BLS for Healthcare Providers Certification
- Stop the Bleed Certification
- Access to one-on-one tutoring by appointment with course instructors
- Background check (referred to provider upon admission to program)
Costs not included:
- Drug testing (referred to provider upon admission to program)
- Paperback textbook (optional, available for order through program)
- Uniform pants (required prior to internships)
- Uniform boots/shoes (required prior to internships)
- Uniform belt (required prior to internships)
- Stethoscope (recommended)
- Blood pressure cuff (recommended)
Course Approval Number
TDSHS Course #615175
San Marcos Hays County EMS, San Marcos, Texas
Texas State University Continuing Education and San Marcos Hays County EMS Education Division are pleased to offer this valuable training program to the students of Texas State University and all other members of the community who are seeking to join the healthcare profession! San Marcos Hays County EMS is a non-profit, private organization that provides primary 911 response and inter-facility medical transport services to the citizens of Hays, Guadalupe, Comal, and Blanco Counties.
San Marcos Hays County EMS has begun this joint venture with Texas State University as part of our company mission to keep our communities healthy and strong. We understand that the best way to secure the strength and health of our communities in the future is to educate the next generation of healthcare providers to the very best of our abilities.
Students will have the opportunity to learn from experienced pre-hospital and clinical providers who are actively employed in the provision of emergency medicine in the field and in the hospital environment. All of our instructors are certified at the EMT level or above and have proven themselves as clinicians. We have over 100 years of cumulative experience amongst our faculty, and we take pride in providing the best possible EMS education that not only meets but exceeds national and state standards.
We do our very best to train our EMT students to the same level as our employees, and since we are an employer of pre-hospital providers, we encourage graduates to apply to join our team once they receive their certifications.
Our First-Attempt National Registry Pass Rate as of June 17, 2019 is above 90%. We will do whatever it takes to prepare you for what lies ahead after graduation, both in the testing booth and in the field.
The Flipped-Classroom EMT program consists of online lecture and independent study, hands-on laboratory instruction, and clinical and field internships where students will work alongside experienced healthcare providers to experience healthcare in the real world. The program curriculum is developed and updated in accordance with standards established by the National Registry of EMTs, National Association of EMS Physicians, and the Texas Department of State Health Services.
The course curriculum will consist of:
- Basic Human Anatomy and Physiology including an interactive, hands-on cadaver lab
- Basic Life Support methods for airway management, patient assessment, treating patients with medical and traumatic emergencies, and treatment and care of infants and children.
- Overall EMS operations.
- 180 Classroom / Laboratory hours
- 48 Field Internship hours
- 24 Clinical Internship hours
Upon successful completion of the course, graduating students will be eligible to sit for the National Registry of EMTs EMT certification examination.
Participants must not have any charges or convictions of a violent or sexual nature in their criminal history. Upon admission into the program, students will be directed to a criminal history, identity verification, and credit check provider for screening. If you have specific questions or concerns about your criminal history, please contact Cody Carroll at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Participants will be required to provide documentation of the following to the program before being allowed to schedule or attend internships:
- Measles, Mumps, Rubella vaccination or positive titer(MMR)
- Second dose of Measles vaccine or positive titer
- Hepatitis B vaccination (first dose) or positive titer
- Tetanus, Diphtheria, Pertussis vaccination (DPT or TdAP) or positive titer
- Varicella vaccine, positive titer, or evidence of having had chicken pox
- Annual Influenza vaccination for 2018-2019 flu season
- TB skin test (available at clinical site) or negative chest x-ray within two years (student’s expense)
- 12-panel drug screen within 2 months of the beginning of internships (students will be referred to a provider for drug testing)
Registration for Fall 2019 now open.
Tuition refunds will be issued on the following refund schedule. All course drops and refund requests must be submitted in writing to email@example.com.
- 100% refund - fourteen (14) or more calendar days prior to first class day.
- 50% refund - within fourteen (14) calendar days leading up to first class day.
- 25% refund - during the first four (4) class days.
- 0% refund - after the fourth (4th) class day.
If you have questions regarding the content or requirements of the program, please contact San Marcos Hays County EMS Education Division at 512-353-5115 ext. 508.
If you need assistance with the registration and payment processes, please contact the Office of Distance and Extended Learning at 512.245.2507 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Join Our Contact List
Please join our contact list to receive information about upcoming classes. If you're interested, please complete the short form available through the button below.