Prior to enrolling in a Site-based Internship (COUN 5389) section, prospective interns are required to apply to be admitted into Internship. Applications are tailored to the courses offered each semester, and students rank order preferences of each section. Along with this choice, students are also to provide documentation of their clinical evaluations from previous classes, amount of degree completion through a degree audit, and a personal statement regarding their clinical skill development.
Students are not able to register for this course without first being assigned to a section by the Practicum/Internship Coordinator (Dr. Tracy Chiles), and permitted into the course by the Program Administrative Assistant. Students are notified when these steps have been completed and when they are able to register for their assigned course section. Do not attempt to register without authorization.
NOTE: These applications are also used to determine how many sections of Internship will be needed for each semester. If adjustments to sections are needed (e.g., sections needing to be added or deleted), students may be asked to re-rank section selections based on adjusted sections. Dr. Chiles will notify all applicants if this happens.
|♦ Summer 2022 Internship Application ♦||
♦ Fall 2022 Internship Application ♦
|Mon 2/14/22 - Fri 2/18/22||
Mon 2/14/22 - Fri 2/18/22
Time limited application:
♦ Monday February 14, 2022 to Friday February 18, 2022 ♦
See notes below ...
!! Failure to submit an application during the application window may result in your being placed on a wait list. Section assignment for Summer 2022 and Fall 2022 CANNOT be assured for those placed on the wait list.
SUMMER 2022 & FALL 2022 Application Cycle: You will submit more than one application this cycle if a situation below applies to you:
* If you are applying for Clinical Practicum for Summer 2022, YOU WILL ALSO NEED TO COMPLETE AND SUBMIT an application for Internship for Fall 2022 during this same application period.
* If you are applying for your first Internship semester for Summer 2022, YOU WILL ALSO NEED TO COMPLETE AND SUBMIT an application for your second Internship semester for Fall 2022 during this same application period.
(f you are applying for your first Internship semester for Fall 2022, you will not need to apply for anything else but Fall 2022 Internship at this time. The application cycle for Spring 2023 Internship will be available in the fall of 2022.)
⇒ Start searching for internship sites as early as possible. Some internship sites require applications and interviews up to a year (2 semesters) before the semester you will be starting Internship. All site supervisors must be approved prior to the start of the upcoming internship semester. Students cannot start an Internship semester without a secured site and completed Internship agreement approved by the Practicum/Internship Coordinator, Dr.Chiles.
The Guidelines for Internship document is below, and contains a letter of introduction from the Internship Coordinator, a Memorandum of Agreement, Proposed Internship Activity Plan, and Supervisor Disclosure Statement outline. The Guidelines for Internship document should be reviewed by you and also shared with your Site supervisor before you complete the required Internship paperwork.
Site Supervisor Resources
This capstone experience helps students to bring together academic understanding of counseling and the practice of counseling, while under supervision. Clinicians practicing in community and school settings have volunteered their time to serve as site-based supervisors for graduate-level interns. Resources are provided on this page for site-based supervisors.
Internship Guidelines Manual
A single document including all materials is available here:
Individual Internship Forms
Newly revised Memorandum of Agreement forms must be used starting for the Summer/Fall 2020 Internship semesters.
A sample Memorandum of Agreement form is provided here for you to see what information will be required. Texas State University now requires Memorandums be signed by the CLAS Department Chair and Dean of the College of Education. For this reason, the form has been automated, and will be sent to each individual listed on the form via email. All signers will have the ability to save a copy of the form once it has been signed by everyone within the form. This Memorandum of Agreement form will not be accepted with handwritten information. It must go through the electronic signature process.
|For any additional questions, please contact the Clinical Director, Dr. Tracy Chiles via email.|
Internship Agreement Forms
⇒ Internship documents must be submitted prior to the semester starting (or continuing) an Internship experience. Dr. Tracy Chiles will email interns with due dates each semester for these documents. Each University Professor will let interns know whether original copies of documents will be required.
Make sure you are completing the electronic version of the Memorandum of Agreement revised for the Summer 2020 and Fall 2020 semesters. The legal department of Texas State University has directed changes that must now be included, including signatures of the CLAS Department Chair and Dean of the College of Education.
Submit the following before the semester begins:
- Liability Insurance in effect for the duration of the semester
- Proposed Activity Form
- Supervisor Disclosure Statement
Submit the following at midsemester:
- Midsemester Evaluation of Intern
Submit the following at the end of the semester:
- Intern Activity Sheet signed by Intern and Supervisor
- Final Log Signed by Supervisor
- Site Supervisor Evaluation of Intern
- Intern Evaluation of Site
New Internship Site Application
Do you know of a site that would be a good fit for a TXST Professional Counseling Program Internship? Great!
In order to meet CACREP requirements, approved sites would need to be able to:
- Offer 300 clock hours of supervised experience (direct client counseling and indirect work) each semester
- Provide a minimum of 120 direct client counseling hours each semester (about 10-12 clients each week)
- Provide a licensed site supervisor who facilitates weekly one-hour individual supervision with the intern and is present at the site when the intern is on site (LPC, LMFT, LCSW, or PhD; Supervisor status not required: LPC-S)
- Allow video and/or audio recording of intern work (with client approval) for site and TXST university supervisors to evaluate intern skills
- Offer opportunity for intern to participate in all aspects of work a counselor performs at this site (e.g., individual counseling and group counseling sessions, intakes, clinical staffings, documentation, site events)
In order for a site to be approved, sites should complete the application at the link below. Dr. Chiles, our Clinical Director, will review the application and communicate with the site supervisor on next steps. If you have any questions, you can email Dr. Chiles.