Lab Instructional Assistants Employment
Now accepting applications for Spring 2021.
Please review all of these details before applying at the link below.
- Have received a B or better in the labs they are applying to teach
- Obtain excellent Chemistry & Biochemistry faculty references
- Be enrolled in at least 6 hours
- Only work 25 hours per week while taking classes
Graduate IA's (GIA)
- Be admitted to a graduate program approved by the C&B graduate advisor or be referred by the MSEC program
- Be enrolled in at least 9 hours
- Manage lab locker assignments
- Weekly meetings with lab supervisor to review upcoming week's lab
- Prepare lab lecture
- Communicate with students
- Administer exams
- Attend mandatory annual safety training
- Enforce safety procedures
1. Submit an online application
2. Applicants should request a reference from an Instructor. More details about this, as well as the link to the form, can be found below.
3. Applicant will be contacted by the department via email to schedule an appointment to speak with the lab coordinator with specific questions.
4. Applicants will be contacted if their schedules permit lab placement, which is based on lab schedules, applicant's ability to teach the lab, and course schedule availability. Lab assignments are subject to change up until a week prior to the lab start date.
5. If you are hired, and you have never worked on campus before, please have your I-9 documentation (birth certificate, passport, social security card etc.) in your possession when you fill out the paperwork for hire in the chemistry office. If you do not have this documentation, you will not be able to complete the paperwork and will therefore be ineligible to work until it is provided.
Required Reference Form For New IA's
You do not need to complete this step if you have already been an IA in our department.
All new IA applicants must:
- Contact the instructor that they want to get the reference from and ask them if they would be willing to complete a reference for them.
- If they agree, inform the instructor where to find the link to the form, which is here below.