Bobcat Cares FAQ
How do I apply for the Bobcat Cares Emergency Grant?
When the application is available, you can apply for this emergency grant via the Bobcat Online Scholarship System (BOSS).
How many grants will be awarded and for how much?
For eligible students, fall 2021 award amounts will range from $500 - $2,000 depending on a recipient’s financial need. The number of recipients and amount of each award will depend on the number of applicants, prioritization based on financial need (as demonstrated by the 2021–2022 FAFSA for fall), and the availability of funds.
When will the application open and close?
The Bobcat Cares Emergency Grant application periods are:
- Summer 2021 – June 1 – June 15
- Fall 2021 – August 23 – September 9
How can I be considered for Bobcat Cares Emergency Grant funds?
To be considered for this grant, you must apply for this emergency grant via the Bobcat Online Scholarship System (BOSS).
Who can apply for the Bobcat Cares Emergency Grant?
To be eligible to apply, you must:
- Be enrolled for the relevant semester.
Can I apply without submitting a FAFSA?
Yes. Having submitted a FAFSA is not an eligibility requirement of this emergency grant. However, the selection of recipients and award amounts are prioritized based on exceptional need as demonstrated by the FAFSA. So, submitting a FAFSA for the appropriate application term (2020-2021 FAFSA for summer and 2021-2022 FAFSA for fall) is advised.
Can I apply for these funds as an international or undocumented student?
Yes, as long as you meet the below eligibility requirement.
- Be enrolled for the relevant semester.
What will be the award amounts
For eligible students, award amounts will range from $500 - $1,500 depending on a recipient’s financial need. The number of recipients and amount of each award will depend on the number of applicants, prioritization based on financial need (as demonstrated by the 2020-2021 FAFSA for summer and 2021-2022 FAFSA for fall), and the availability of funds.
Can I apply as a graduate student for these emergency grants?
Yes, as long as you meet the below eligibility requirements.
- Be enrolled for relevant semester.
What costs can be covered by these emergency grants?
This emergency grant is funded through the federal CRRSAA and ARPA acts and is intended to assist students with the below costs.
- Any component of your cost of attendance (e.g., tuition, fees, housing, food, books, supplies, and travel expenses to and from campus).
- Emergency costs that arose due to Coronavirus such as, but not limited to, tuition, food, housing, health care, mental health care, or childcare.
When will grants be awarded?
The review of applications will begin once the application closes. The evaluation, prioritization, awarding and disbursement period is expected to take two weeks.
How will I know if I've been awarded an emergency grant?
All applicants will be notified by email as to whether they have been awarded a Bobcat Cares Emergency Grant. This notification is expected to be sent approximately two weeks after the close of each semester’s application.
If awarded an emergency grant, can the funds be applied to my student account?
Yes. You have the option to apply funds by checking the appropriate opt in box on your Bobcat Cares Emergency Grant application. By checking the box, any funds awarded to you will first be applied to any outstanding charges on your student account with Student Business Services. After any funds are applied, any remaining funds will be sent to you via E-Refund or, if not signed up for E-Refund, mailed paper check.
If awarded an emergency grant, how will the funds be sent to me?
If you are awarded an emergency grant, any funds not applied to your outstanding charges with Student Business Services will be sent either by:
- E-Refund to your bank account. If not already setup with E-Refund, login to your Student Business Services account. Then click on the Refunds tab and select Set Up Account.
- If not signed up for E-Refund, a check will be mailed to your permanent address. So, be sure your permanent address is current with the University by visiting Texas State Self-Service and clicking Personal Information.