Skip to Content
Texas State University

Bobcat Cares FAQ

How do I apply for the Bobcat Cares COVID-19 Relief Grant?

It depends. If you filed a 2020-2021 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and have a $0 Expected Family Contribution (EFC), no application is necessary to be considered for this grant.

If you filed a FAFSA and have an EFC greater than $0, or have not filed a FAFSA, you can apply for this relief grant via the Bobcat Online Scholarship System (BOSS).

How can I find out what my federally-determined Expected Family Contribution (EFC) is?

To view your EFC, please visit your Texas State Self-Service account and:

  • Log in using your Texas State ID and Password.
  • From the main menu, click on Financial Aid.
  • From the Financial Aid main menu click Federal Shopping Sheet.
  • Select the 2020-2021 Aid Year and click Submit.
  • On the Federal Shopping Sheet, look for the number in the Expected Family Contribution box in the Based on FAFSA row.

What is my Expected Family Contribution (EFC) if I didn’t file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)?

If you did not file a FAFSA, you would not be considered to have a $0 EFC and will need to submit an application if you want to be considered for a grant.

Why do I have to submit an application when students with a $0 Expected Family Contribution (EFC) do not?

Students with a $0 EFC are considered to have the highest financial need as determined by the federal government via their Free Application for Federal Student Aid. Therefore, they will be automatically awarded a COVID-19 relief grant.

When will the application open and close?

The Bobcat Cares COVID-19 Relief Grant funding will be disbursed over three semesters; spring, summer and fall of 2021. The spring 2021 application will be open from February 15 – March 3, 2021. The application periods for the summer and fall will be announced at a later time.

Who can apply for the Bobcat Cares COVID-19 Relief Grant?

To be eligible to apply, you must:

  • Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen.
  • Be enrolled for the relevant semester.

Can I apply for these funds as an international or undocumented student?

While you are not eligible to apply for the federally funded portion of the Bobcat Cares COVID-19 Relief Grant, you can apply for the institutionally funded portion of the relief grant through the Dean of Students Office.

How many grants will be awarded and for how much?

Unfortunately, applicants are not guaranteed to receive an award. Funding is limited. The number of recipients and amount of each award will depend on the number of applicants, prioritization based on financial need, and the availability of funds.

Can I apply as a graduate student for these relief grants?

Yes, as long as you meet the below eligibility requirements.

  • Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen.
  • Be enrolled for relevant semester.

What costs can be covered by these relief grants?

This relief grant is funded through the federal CRRSAA (Act) and is intended to assist students with the below costs if incurred since December 27, 2020.

  • Any component of your cost of attendance (e.g., tuition, fees, housing, food, books, supplies, and travel expenses to and from campus).
  • Unexpected costs that arose due to the coronavirus such as, but not limited to, tuition, food, housing, healthcare, mental healthcare, or childcare.

When will grants be awarded?

The review of applications will begin once the application closes. The evaluation, prioritization, awarding and disbursement period is expected to take two weeks.

How will I know if I've been awarded a relief grant?

All applicants will be notified by email as to whether they have been awarded a Bobcat Cares COVID-19 Relief Grant. This notification is expected to be sent approximately two weeks after the close of each semester’s application.

If awarded an emergency grant, can the funds be applied to my student account?

Yes, if you complete a Bobcat Cares Emergency Grant application. If you do, you have the option to apply funds by checking the appropriate opt in box on your application. By checking the box, any funds awarded to you will first be applied to any outstanding charges on your student account with Student Business Services. After any funds are applied, any remaining funds will be sent to you via E-Refund or, if not signed up for E-Refund. mailed paper check.

If awarded a grant, how will the funds be sent to me?

If you are awarded a relief grant, any funds not applied to your outstanding charges with Student Business Services will be sent either by:

  • E-Refund to your bank account. If not already set up with E-Refund, log in to your Student Business Services account. Then click on the Refunds tab and select Set Up Account.
  • If not signed up for E-Refund, a check will be mailed to your permanent address. So, be sure your permanent address is current with the university by visiting Texas State Self-Service and clicking Personal Information.