Lambda Alpha National Honor Society
Lambda Alpha is the international honors society for students of anthropology. The name, Lambda Alpha, comes from the initial letters of the Greek words logos anthropou, meaning the "study of man.” The society was originally founded with the purpose of encouraging scholarship and research in anthropology.
Lambda Alpha 2015 Newsletter (pdf document)
Benefits of Membership
• Membership in a national honors organization is beneficial for your resume. This is a lifetime membership, and you may list it among your honors/affiliations indefinitely.
• Members of Lambda Alpha may submit their work for publication in the national journal.
• The National Executive Office provides sizable scholarships each year.
• Members are eligible to purchase the Lambda Alpha Honors stole and/or pin to wear at commencement.
Lambda Alpha is available to students interested in anthropology who meet the standards of scholastic performance set by our organization.
Requirements for Graduate Students
• Good departmental standing
• Overall GPA of 3.25
• Unofficial transcript copy
• $25 One-time National Chapter fee
Deadlines to Apply for Membership:
To apply for membership, bring the above items to the Anthropology Office (ELA 266).
• Fall semester – November 1st
• Spring semester – March 1st
Lambda Alpha Scholarships and Grants:
Lambda Alpha awards national scholarships and international research grants annually.
• The Graduate Research Grant is designed to encourage thesis field research ($2,000). The annual deadline is March 1st. For more information see http://cms.bsu.edu/academics/collegesanddepartments/anthropology/lambdaalpha
Lambda Alpha Journal:
The Lambda Alpha Journal of Man reserves 50% of its space for student publications. This offers students an opportunity to have their work published in a respectable national journal. For more information see https://laanthro.org/news/
Stoles and Pins for Graduation:
The Lambda Alpha stoles ($25.00) and pins ($10.00) that may be worn with your graduation gown should be ordered directly through the National Lambda Alpha office at least a month prior to your expected graduation. You must provide a copy of your lifetime membership card, along with the order form, to purchase these items.
Lambda Alpha Order Form (pdf document)