Name History

Authorized by the Texas legislature in 1899, Southwest Texas State Normal School opened its doors in 1903. Over the years, we've broadened our scope and changed our name a few times as well:

  • 1918: Southwest Texas State Normal College
  • 1923: Southwest Texas State Teachers College
  • 1959: Southwest Texas State College
  • 1969: Southwest Texas State University
  • 2003: Texas State University-San Marcos
  • 2013: Texas State University

Each name reflects our growth from a small teaching institution to a major, multipurpose university. Through our nine academic colleges, Texas State offers more than 200 undergraduate and post-graduate degrees to serve the needs of future generations of Texans.