The Texas State Credit-By-Examination Policies
- For the Texas State University Policies and Procedures statement about the CLEP, see PPS 3.08.
- Credit-by-exam will be accepted as "credit only" (CR) and will not affect students cumulative GPA.
- Credit-by-exam satisfies degree requirements in the same way as does credit earned by passing courses except that is does not count as credit earned in residence.
- Students may retake an exam only after 3 months have elapsed. A credit examination cannot be taken for a particular course more than twice.
- Unsuccessful attempts to earn credit by examination will not be recorded.
- Any prerequisites for a course must be satisfied prior to the examination in that course.
- The credit-by-exam program requires the passing of a nationally normed or local test such as CLEP, AP, or a departmental exam or a combination.
- Credit-by-exam performance standards are set by the department in which the courses are taught. These standards hold university wide and cannot be raised or lowered by other departments or schools.
- If a department chooses not to award course credit for their course on the basis of CLEP exams, no other Program, department or school can accept CLEP scores for that course.
- Texas State will support the award of credit for the College Board Advanced Placement Program. However, departments are responsible for selecting the courses to receive credit and the appropriate cut-off scores.
- Transcripted credit earned via credit by exam by students transferring to Texas State will be evaluated for transfer eligibility in the same manner as other traditional course credit.
- College Board's Advanced Placement Program (AP) and College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) tests may be taken at locations other than Texas State University-San Marcos. However, credit awarded will be based upon Texas State's criteria and required scores.
- Special circumstances regarding credit-by-examination taken at Texas State will be considered by the department and the Testing, Research-Support, and Evaluation Center (TREC) on an individual student basis. Special circumstances regarding the transfer of credit-by-examination to Texas State will be considered by the department, TREC, and the Office of Admissions on an individual student basis.
- Each department will have the opportunity to review its credit-by-examination procedures (i.e., tests being used, pass/fail rates and cut-off scores) on an annual basis. However, formal procedural changes will be made every two years with the implementation of the new catalog. Cut-off scores may change without prior notice.
- Contact Occupational Education concerning credit by examination under that program.
- Students with disabilities who may require accommodations must contact the Office of Disability Services (512.245.3451) prior to taking the test. Verification of disability will be required.
- It is the responsibility of the examinee to inform the proctor on duty in the testing lab prior to the start of any test of any accommodations that need to be applied.