Effective immediately, all payments of the test fee for CLEP must be made online through the My Account portal. Other forms of payment (i.e. credit card, check, money order) for CLEP exam fees will no longer be acceptable. The process for paying the administration fee to Texas State has not changed. Please click here for instructions on How To Register for CLEP Exams.
If you are considering taking a CLEP or Departmental examination-for-credit, please read our Policies page also. The Testing, Research Support & Evaluation Center (TREC) is an open center for CLEP testing. CLEP requires an $80 fee for each test, which must be paid online prior to coming in to test. In addition, Texas State University requires an administration fee for CLEP testing of $30 for Texas State students, and $35 for non-Texas State students. The Texas State University administration fee payment may be made by credit card, a money order (payable to Texas State University), or exact cash. This fee is collected when you arrive at the testing center.
Two forms of identification are required to take a CLEP exam. The primary ID must be a government-issued photo ID. The ID must include the candidate’s name, signature, and a recognizable photograph.
Acceptable forms of primary identification include:
• Current passport with name, photograph, and signature
• Valid driver’s license with name, photograph, and signature
• State or Province ID issued by the motor vehicle agency with name, photograph, and signature
• Military ID
• National ID with name, photograph, and signature
• A tribal ID card
• A naturalization card or certificate of citizenship
If the student is a minor and unable to provide a primary government-issued ID, then the College Board ID Form must be used for the primary ID.
The College Board ID Form is available online at
or you can contact CLEP Services at (800) 257-9558, (609) 771-7865, or firstname.lastname@example.org. for information on obtaining the College Board ID Form.
Acceptable forms of secondary identification include:
• An unused ID from the primary choices above
• A current student ID
Note: If you have questions about the ID policy, contact CLEP Services at
(609) 771-7865, or
Unacceptable ID Documents
The following documents are not acceptable forms of ID for the CLEP examinations:
• Credit or debit cards of any kind
• Social Security card
• Employee ID
Please visit the Exam Day Info page of the CLEP website for more information at
Use of the following items in the testing room is strictly prohibited unless an approved exception has been specified by CLEP services at (800) 257-9558 or (609) 771-7865.
• Calculators (a calculator function is built into the software for those tests that require calculator use)
• Listening devices including, but not limited to cellular phones/pagers, beepers, walkie talkies, PDAs, or wireless communication devices (e.g., smartphone, tablet, mp3 player)
• Any device capable of recording audio, photographic, or video content, or capable of viewing or playing back content, through such means as digital cameras or video cameras
• Food, beverages, or tobacco products
• Hats (unless worn as a religious requirement)
• Hooded sweatshirts or sweaters
• Calculator watches
• Digital watches (wrist or pocket), alarm watches, or wristwatch cameras
• Dictionaries, books, pamphlets, reference materials
• Papers of any kind (except for authorized scratch paper provided by the center).
• Slide rules, protractors, compasses, rulers
• Highlighter pens and/or colored pens and pencils
• Copying devices
• Transmission or receiving devices
• Mechanical pencils or any type of pen
• Nonmedical electronic devices (laptop computers, digital assistants)
• Flash/thumb drives or any other portable electronic storage device
• Candidate-provided keyboards
• Any other unauthorized testing aids
• Weapons or firearms
Backpacks, fanny packs, briefcases, bags, purses, wallets, outdoor wear, and any other personal items should be placed in a locker outside of the testing room.
• Personal identification, including photo ID
• Official CLEP scratch paper provided by TREC
• Nonmechanical pencils provided by TREC
• Headphones (foreign language exams only)
Students with disabilities who may require accommodations must contact the Office of Disability Services (512.245.3451) prior to taking the test. Verification of disability will be required.
For CLEP testing times, see Testing Lab Hours. Please note that the CLEP College Composition exam allows 30 minutes more working time than other CLEP exams, so if you are taking this test, your deadline to arrive and begin your test will be 30 minutes earlier than the times listed. Extended time accommodations will also affect the latest time to begin a test. If you are entitled to extended time accommodations, please contact us to confirm the available starting times for your test.
Current and future Texas State students should refer to the list of exams below that have been approved for course credit at Texas State.
Please see the Occupational Education Program for CLEP exams they accept.
If you have taken any CLEP exams elsewhere and wish to have your scores reported to Texas State, the score recipient code is 6667.
The following CLEP exams have been approved for course credit at Texas State. For additional information about CLEP, visit: http://www.collegeboard.com/clep.
|SUBJECT||COURSE CREDIT||CLEP TEST||HRS OF CREDIT||PASSING SCORE|
|Accounting||ACC 2361 |
ACC 2361, 2362
|Financial Accounting |
Principles of Accounting1
|Chemistry||CHEM 1341, 1141 |
(CHEM 1342, 1142)
|Economics||ECO 2314 |
|Prin of Microeconomics |
Prin of Macroeconomics
|English||ENG 1310, 1320||College Composition3||6||50|
|History||HIST 1310 |
|History I (to 1877)4 |
History II (after 1865)4
Western Civilization I (before 1648)4
Western Civilization II (after 1648)4
|Management||MGT 3303||Principles of Management||3||50|
|Marketing||MKT 3343||Principles of Marketing||3||50|
|Math||MATH 1315 |
|College Algebra |
|Political Science||POSI 2310||American Government2||3||50|
|Psychology||PSY 1300 |
|Intro Psychology |
Human Growth & Development
|Sociology||SOCI 1310||Intro Sociology||3||50|
1 This exam is no longer available.
2 Additional departmental essay exam required for credit.
3 Score may take up to 5 weeks
4 To earn credit-by-exam for HIST 1310 , HIST 1320 (US History I & II), HIST 2310, HIST 2320 (Western Civilization I & II), a Texas State University student must: Pass the relevant CLEP exam meeting the minimum scores posted above, and then complete the relevant essays to be scored by the Texas State History Department.
Additionally, for credit to be earned in the fall semester, both portions must be completed no later than November 15. Any essays submitted after November 15 but before the beginning of the spring semester will not be scored until the spring semester.
For credit to be earned for spring semester, both portions must be completed by April 15. Any essays submitted after April 15 but before the onset of the summer semester will be scored during the summer session.
For credit to be awarded for summer session, the essay portion must be completed by July 15. Any essays submitted after July 15 but before the fall semester will be graded during the fall semester.
Effective August 10, 2010
Texas State University-San Marcos will recognize superior scores for CLEP exams in French, German, and Spanish language by awarding not only credit, but also letter grades of A or B according to the Credit & Grade Awarding Table.
Letter grades for these CLEP exams will be optional. Students may choose to accept a “CR” (credit only) instead of a letter grade.
All passing scores are subject to change without notification. Contact the TREC at 512.245.2276 for updates.