Welcome to Academic Testing for Students with Disabilities (ATSD)
ATSD administers academic tests with approved testing accommodations to students who are registered with the Office of Disability Services (ODS) at Texas State University. Texas State has designated ATSD as the official office to provide testing accommodations for students with disabilities. Our facility offers students enhanced accessibility for course exams and quizzes by providing a reduced distraction testing environment and accessible technology options.
If a student with approved testing accommodations wishes to test in ATSD, then the student has the right to test in ATSD, even in cases where instructors offer to provide accommodations outside of ATSD.
The Academic Testing for Students with Disabilities office is located in Room G18 on the bottom floor of Commons Hall.
Due to construction, accessible parking for the building has moved to the Pleasant Street Garage (Commons Hall).
Hours and Contact Information
Monday, Thursday and Friday – 8:00 am to 5:00 pm
Tuesday and Wednesday – 8:00 am to 8:00 pm
Special hours during finals – 7:00 am to 7:00 pm (with ALL final exams ending at 6:45PM)
Special hours when classes are not in session – 10:00 am to 3:00 pm
ATSD does not administer exams when classes are not in session.
Secure email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Fall 2016 Schedule:
- August 29th (Monday) - 1st day of classes
- September 5th (Monday) - Labor Day (closed)
- November 23rd (Wednesday) - No classes
- November 24th - 25th - Thanksgiving Break (closed)
- December 1st - (Thursday) - Last day to submit a request for a final exam
- December 6th - (Tuesday) - Last day to submit a request for a regular exam
- December 8th (Thursday) - Last day of classes
- December 12th - 15th - Final exams are administered at ATSD excluding the weekend
- *December 9th (Friday) - Final exams will only be administered at ATSD at the 11:15AM and 3PM time slots for courses with the following class meeting times: MW 5, W5, F5, F 6:30
- ¥December 16th (Friday) - Finals exams will only be administered at ATSD at the 7:30AM time slot for courses with the following class meeting times: MWF 8AM
- The ATSD Testing System is an online portal utilized by:
- Students- to submit requests to take academic tests and quizzes
- Faculty - to review student submitted test requests, provide test details, and upload tests
- Proctors - to review work schedules and availability and to receive announcements
- Students that wish to access their accommodations by testing through ATSD must submit an online test request for each test or quiz.
- Testing Guidelines
- Students who choose to coordinate testing arrangements with ATSD must follow the policies and procedures outlined in the Student Testing Guidelines. It is important for all students planning to test through ATSD to read the guidelines in their entirety. This document is also a resource to find information on the following:
- ATSD Policies
- Submitting a test request
- Expectations for student behavior
- Testing procedures
- Specialty Accommodations
- Navigating the ATSD Testing System
- Submit a Test Request
- Testing System Instructions
- Office of Disability Services (ODS)
Faculty & Staff
- Testing Guidelines - give a brief description of the instructor guidelines. A brief list of the things that the guidelines will tell instructors. (How to change a request, submitting a test, etc.)
- Testing accommodations can be provided for any student with a disability by the Academic Testing for Students with Disabilities (ATSD). Accommodations may also be provided by a faculty member, instructor, or the designee of an instructor. If the test is to be administered by ATSD, then the instructor and student must both adhere to the policies and procedures listed in this document. The guidelines will explain the following:
- Testing Times
- Student Responsibility for Scheduling
- Instructor Role for ATSD Testing
- Providing Tests to ATSD
- Receiving Completed Test Packets
- Edit a Test Request
- Testing System Instructions
- Forms - Test Cover Sheet
Testing at ATSD
- Available Services
- Accessible Technology available
- ZoomText (3 computers)
- JAWS (3 computers)
- 2 CCTVs (Large unit and one arm that can be used with ZoomText)
- Braille - ATSD can convert most tests to Braille format. The student must indicate his or her need for Braille format on the online test request. Students should also notify their instructor to ensure ATSD receives the test at least 24 hours before the test date. Instructors will need to send the test in Microsoft Word format.
- Readers and/or Scribes
- Identification Policy
- All students testing at ATSD must present valid photo identification (ID) prior to taking a test. If a student does not have a photo ID, then he or she will not be permitted to test.
- 48 hour Rule: Online requests for all tests and quizzes must be submitted at least 48 hours in advance of the requested scheduled starting time.
- The 48 hour rule does not include weekends or holidays.
- For example, if a student would like to take an exam on Monday at 11:00 a.m., he or she will need to submit his or her testing request on Thursday by 10:59 a.m.
- One Week Rule: Online requests for fall and spring final exams must be submitted at least one week prior to the last day of regular classes for that semester.
- The One Week Rule allows ATSD to ensure that students have access to all of the necessary accommodations for each final exam.
- Online requests for summer session finals must be submitted following the 48 Hour Rule.
- Late Policy: Students arriving more than 10 minutes after the scheduled start time will be unable to test. If this occurs the student may:
- Reschedule the test with ATSD by submitting a new online test request. The new request is contingent on instructor approval.
- Take the test with the rest of the class.
- Locker Policy
- Each student testing at ATSD is issued a locker to store his or her personal belongings. Only the materials approved by the course instructor may be taken into the testing rooms.
- Cell Phones
- Since the ground floor of the Commons building is a cell phone free area, students should turn off their cell phones before entering the ground floor. Additionally, phone calls and texting are prohibited.
- All cell phones must be turned off and stowed in a locked locker.
- Testing Times - ATSD’s designated test start times are established to ensure that students receive proper accommodations, and face minimal distractions, given the available testing space. Testing times are non-negotiable.
- Regular Tests & Quizzes
- On Monday, Thursday, and Friday, ATSD administers regular tests and quizzes at 8:00 a.m., 11:00 a.m., 2:00 p.m., and 3:00 p.m.
- On Tuesday and Wednesday, ATSD administers regular tests and quizzes at 8:00 a.m., 11:00 a.m., 2:00 p.m., 3:00 p.m., and 5:00 p.m.
- Summer Sessions
- 8:00 a.m., 11:00 a.m., 2:00 p.m., and 3:00 p.m. (Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday)
- 8:00 a.m., 11:00 a.m., 2:00 p.m., 3:00 p.m., and 5:00 p.m. (Wednesday)
- 7:30 a.m., 11:15 a.m., and 3:00 p.m.
- The ATSD testing facility can seat 57 students for each testing time.
- 15 reduced distraction testing rooms (7 reader/scribe rooms with assistive technology)
- All students testing at ATSD are monitored by trained proctors via a closed circuit video surveillance system.
- If needed, ATSD can provide the following materials to students:
- Pen and/or pencil
- Scantron, blue book
- 4-function calculator
- Headphones, earphones, or ear plugs
- Scratch paper
- Testing at Round Rock Campus