Skip to Content

Claiming Credit

Students who have credit eligible scores (e.g., AP scores that are high enough to earn CR for one or more courses) are responsible for ensuring that their credit is posted to their transcript. Once a student claims credit at the Testing Center, the Testing Center will report the credit to the Registrar’s Office where it will become part of the student’s official academic record.

For CLEP tests, the student should select Texas State as the official score recipient. CLEP will send the official score report to the Testing Center, which will then report the credit to the Registrar’s Office. This takes approximately two to three weeks, except for the CLEP College Composition test, which may take up to six weeks. For all other exams for credit, the student is responsible for coming to the Testing Center located in Room G4 on the ground level of Commons Hall to claim the credit.

Claiming credit for an examination that does not apply towards your degree plan may make you ineligible for a tuition rebate. See the Fees and Expenses page of the Undergraduate Catalog for information on the tuition rebate and consult with your academic advisor if you have questions.

The claiming deadline for Summer Session I is the last day of finals; for all other semesters and summer session II, the claiming deadline is the Friday of the commencement week. Once a student has claimed credit, approximately 5 to 10 business days is required to post credit to a Texas State transcript. Please note that CatsWeb does not update until the end of each semester. If graduating seniors want to include exams for credit on their certification for graduation, they should check with their Dean’s office to be sure what deadlines must be met to have credit recorded on their transcripts.