Finding an internship is the responsibility of the student, just as it will be the responsibility of the student to find his/her job after graduation. The potential intern should seek an internship position that will benefit him/her best after graduation. Larger companies with nationally recognized names may provide more diverse internship experiences than smaller companies. However, smaller companies may be able to provide more individual assistance to an intern. So, select your internship experience carefully.
Start Looking Early
Well over 98% of students seeking an internship in a given semester will find a position. Remember to start looking early because it will take time, especially with larger companies, to approve an internship position.
Austin American-Statesman Internship Position
Summer internship (unpaid, for credit) opportunity for an undergraduate student at the Austin American-Statesman.We are located on Lady Bird Lake near the Riverside exit on I-35.
Our Environmental, Health and Safety Manager works with all areas of our 900-person newspaper company, but focuses on safety issues in the pressroom, packaging, and circulation.
He would like an intern to assist him with the following projects this summer:
- conversion of MSDS files to electronic form and implementation of an MSDS database
- ergonomic evaluations and adjustment follow-up
- updating training material and provide training to employees
- planning, conducting and evaluating safety committee meetings
- conducting floor safety inspections
- investigating routine safety incidents and accidents. Manage findings and follow up with corrective actions
- implementing a site-wide chemical inventory system
- Currently pursuing a Bachelor’s degree in Occupational Health and Safety, Industrial Hygiene or related field
- Competent PC skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Strong analytical skills
- Strong time management and organizational skills
Interested students should email their resume and cover letter to Ellen Stephens
. I’d like to know the dates they would be available to start and finish as well as the number of hours they could be here this summer.