What is SI?
Supplemental Instruction (SI) is a nontraditional form of tutoring that focuses on collaboration, group study, and interaction for assisting students in undertaking "traditionally difficult" courses. SI targets courses with a minimum 30% rate of students that drop, withdraw, or fail, and then provides a trained peer who has successfully negotiated the course to assist its future students. Through 50-minute SI sessions, students are provided with course-specific learning and study strategies, note taking and test taking skills, as well as the opportunity for a structured study time with peers.
What is an SI leader?
SI sessions are facilitated by academically successful students known as SI leaders, who have previously excelled in the course and have received training on guiding collaborative group study sessions. SI leaders attend all of the assigned lectures, take thorough notes, and participate as a traditional student within the course. SI leaders plan and use a variety of teaching and learning methods within 3 one-hour sessions to demonstrate effective study strategies that a student can apply to any class thus providing an opportunity for students to learn learn how to learn while learning what to learn.
Benefits of attending SI
SI is a resource offered by the Student Learning Assistance Center (SLAC) and available to any student registered in an SI-targeted course. Attendance is voluntary, but is highly encouraged as data collected has proven that students who attend regularly (at least one session a week) on average receive a final grade one half to a whole letter grade higher than their classmates who did not regularly attend. SI is funded by various departments and the Office of the Provost.
For more information regarding Supplemental Instruction, it’s beginnings and philosophy, please visit: http://www.umkc.edu/cad/si
SI Supported Courses:
Chemistry 2341 (Fall Only)
Chemistry 2342 (Spring Only)
Testimonials to SI program from fellow Bobcats:
- “Great way to get study help for difficult classes for free!”
- “My SI leader saved me in this course! Attending their sessions brought my grade up from a C to an A!”
- “It’s obvious that the SI leader put a lot of thought and preparation into the sessions. They were very helpful in getting me ready for quizzes and exams!”
- “SI sessions taught me different study techniques that I now use in all of my classes.”
- “The SI leader really helped me understand the course better.”
- “SI sessions are a fun and interactive way to learn the material!”