September 22, 2016
Patricia (Pat) Dismukes Murdock
Pat was born August 30, 1939 in Elgin and grew up in rural Lee County in a community called Knobbs Springs. After graduating from Lexington High School and later Wharton County Junior College, Murdock moved to San Marcos in 1959 to study journalism and English at what was then Southwest Texas State University. She earned a bachelor’s degree there in 1962 and a master’s degree in guidance counseling and English in 1969.
Murdock worked at Texas State for more than four decades including 23 as its news and information service director, a position she held from 1971 to 1994. When Murdock retired in 2007, university president Denise M. Trauth said, “In her long career, she has epitomized the concept of ‘town-gown’ relations … Her volunteer spirit is unrivaled in San Marcos.”
Murdock was an original member of the San Marcos Summerfest Steering Committee; former co-general chairman of the Republic of Texas Chilympiad; former president of American Legion Unit 144; former public affair committee chair for the Texas Special Olympics; and served on countless special observance and event committees including San Marcos’ bicentennial and sesquicentennial celebrations. She is inducted into the San Marcos Women’s Hall of Fame and a was the first recipient of the Southwest Alumni Association’s Key of Excellence Award.
Murdock was a member of the LBJ Museum of San Marcos’ board of directors since the museum’s inception. As a young employee of the university, she helped organize the ceremony at which President Lyndon B. Johnson signed the Higher Education Act of 1965 on the campus of his alma mater.
September 16, 2016
Wilton Leland Wilson
Dr. Wilson, 88, the first Dean of the School of Business, died on September 16. Dr. Wilson began his career at Southwest Texas State University in 1959 as Assistant Registrar. He became Acting Chair of the Department of Business in 1969 and served as Dean through 1978. He was involved in a variety of activities including President of the Lone Star Football Conference, board member of the Central Texas Higher Education Authority and the Texas Pioneer Foundation, and President of the Hays County Teacher Credit Union. Clearly his efforts established a strong foundation upon which the McCoy College has continued to grow. He always had a ready smile, time for conversation, and a continuing interest in the college, the faculty and success of the business students.
August 15, 2016
Charles R. Willms
Dr. Willms was a retired faculty member in the Department of Chemistry where he also served as chair from 1968-1975. During his tenure, the department’s B.S. in Chemistry was granted certification by the American Chemical Society. He retired from the university in 1977 and was named Professor Emeritus for his contributions to teaching. He proudly served in the US Naval Reserves from 1951-1958.