In order to submit a proposal, initiate a contract, or open a grant account, you must have a current disclosure of Significant Financial Interests (SFI) on file with Research Integrity and Compliance (RIC). Texas State researchers are required to submit an SFI Disclosure at least once annually.
The SFI Disclosure doesn't require you to submit documentation or provide private financial data. The online form walks you through a series of Yes/No questions based on the definitions and thresholds outlined in UPPS 02.02.07, Researcher Conflicts of Interest in Research and Sponsored Program Activities.
Key points about your SFI Disclosure:
- You are being asked to disclose all your significant financial interests rather than just financial conflicts of interests related to your current or potential sponsor. You do not need to submit additional disclosures or update your current disclosure unless your financial interests change during the year.
- Significant financial interests do not necessarily indicate the existence of financial conflicts of interest.
- Annual SFI Disclosures are required from all researchers, regardless of funding source or funding status. If you are submitting a proposal to, or receiving an award from one of the Public Health Service (PHS) agencies, you will need to complete additional procedures. Please contact RIC well before your proposal deadline to ensure that PHS compliance requirements are fulfilled on time.
- Since SFI may not relate to specific funders, you are encouraged to submit your disclosure at the beginning of each fall semester, rather than waiting until you submit a proposal or receive funding. If you do not, you will be required to do so before proposal submission or grant account set up.
- PHS-supported researchers must complete a brief FCOI training prior to account set up. If you receive an award from one of the PHS agencies, contact RIC as soon as you find out you’ve been funded.
The RIC welcomes the opportunity to discuss this issue with you. Please contact Becky Northcut for additional information or assistance.
SFI Disclosure Form: Click here to initiate the disclosure process.