Regents adopt mission statement, values and goals for Texas State
Date released: 08/20/04
SAN MARCOS – The Board of Regents of the Texas State University System has approved a revised mission statement and a set of shared values and goals for Texas State University-San Marcos.
The statements are designed to guide the university in the coming years and are a part of the development of the revised University Plan for 2004-2009. They will be submitted to the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board for final approval.
The approved mission statement reads, “Texas State University-San Marcos is a premier public, student-centered, doctoral granting institution dedicated to excellence in serving the educational needs of the diverse population of Texas and the world beyond.”
The shared values statement reads: “In pursuing our mission, we, the faculty, staff and students of Texas State University-San Marcos, are guided by a shared collection of values. Specifically, we value:
- An exceptional undergraduate experience as the heart of what we do;
- Graduate education as a means of intellectual growth and professional development;
- A diversity of people and ideas, a spirit of inclusiveness, a global perspective, and a sense of community as essential conditions for campus life;
- The cultivation of character and the modeling of honesty, integrity, compassion, fairness, respect and ethical behavior, both in the classroom and beyond;
- Engaged teaching and learning based in dialogue, student involvement and the free exchange of ideas;
- Research, scholarship and creative activity as fundamental sources of new knowledge and as expressions of the human spirit;
- A commitment to public service as a resource for personal, educational, cultural and economic development;
- Thoughtful reflection, collaboration, planning and evaluation as essential for meeting the changing needs of those we serve.”
The university goals adopted by the regents are:
- Goal 1: Promote academic quality by building a distinguished faculty, developing the university culture of research and managing enroll
- Goal 2: Expand access to public university education and contribute to the economic and cultural development of Texas, with special emphasis on development of the Round Rock Higher Education Center.
- Goal 3: Provide a premier student-centered educational experience that fosters retention and success and is built on academic programs with clearly defined learning outcomes and a rigorous level of academic challenge.
- Goal 4: Expand educational opportunities, emphasizing doctoral program development, applied scientific and technical programs and other programs that address critical state needs.
- Goal 5: Enrich our learning and working environment by attracting and supporting a more diverse faculty, staff and student body.
- Goal 6: Develop and manage human, financial, physical and technological resources effectively, efficiently and ethically to support the university’s mission.