Sponsored by 3M, this exciting project brings technology into the mathematics classroom. Teachers and students from the Kealing Magnet Program in Austin will created engaging math lessons and activities aligned with the Mathworks curriculum, Math Explorations.
This peer-to-peer learning project adds a new component to the Mathworks curriculum project. Video podcasts will enable students to learn mathematics from a different perspective by working with peers their own age to investigate and explain math concepts. By facilitating peer learning, the video podcasts will encourage students to be excited about mathematics and inspire their creativity.
Using the Math Explorations curriculum, students and teachers recorded video podcasts explaining mathematical concepts and problems. Through this process, the students and teachers learned how to clearly explain concepts, as well as explore different methods of approaching problems. Practicing precise language and reasoning is crucial to students gaining the deeper understanding needed for problem solving that go beyond simple procedures.
Chapter and section numbers refer to the Math Explorations Part 2 textbook.
- 1.1 - Constructing a Number Line
- 1.2 - Less Than & Greater Than
- 1.3 - Absolute Value
- 1.4 - Adding Integers
- 2.2 - Subtracting Integers
- 3.2 - Equations
- 5.1 - The Coordinate Plane
- 7.3 - Exponents
- 7.2 and 7.5 - Primes and Prime Factorization
- 7.5 - Prime Factorization Tree Method
- 9.1 - Mutiplying Fractions
- 10.1 - Rates and Ratios
- 11.1 - Measuring Angles
- 11.1 - Complementary and Supplementary Angles
- 11.2 - Angles in a Triangle
- 11.3 - Area of a Trapezoid
- 11.3 - Area of a Triangle (version A)
- 11.3 - Area of a Triangle (version B)
- 11.5 - Circles