This page is designed to help novice coaches, in new or existing programs, get a successful start in the MATHCOUNTS® progam.
What is MATHCOUNTS®?
MATHCOUNTS® is a national math enrichment, coaching and competition program that promotes middle school mathematics achievement through grassroots involvement in every U.S. state and territory. With over 30 years experience, MATHCOUNTS® is one of the most successful education partnerships involving volunteers, educators, industry sponsors, and students.
After several months of coaching, participating schools select students to compete individually or as part of a team in one of the more than 500 written and oral competitions held nationwide and in U.S. schools overseas. Winners at the local level proceed to state competitions, where the top 4 Mathletes® and top coach earn the right to represent their state or territory at the national level. At all levels, MATHCOUNTS® challenges students' math skills, develops their self-confidence and rewards them for their achievements.
Copied from: mathcounts.org
To get a MATHCOUNTS® program started, start by doing the following:
1. Go to mathcounts.org and read about MATHCOUNTS®
2. Check out the Teachers/Coaches section of the MATHCOUNTS® web page
3. Contact your state/regional MATHCOUNTS® coordinator for a copy of the current year’s handbook. In the Fall you can download a copy of the handbook from the MATHCOUNTS® web page
5. Get the: (from MATHCOUNTS® Web Page)
a. Coaching Kit (helpful for planning your practices)
b. Coaches’ Handbook (an all around helpful document)
6. Check with other coaches from your area for additional ideas (check with your state/regional coordinators)
7. Set a date to have your first meeting
8. Announce it to the school (or contact other home schoolers in your area)
9. Visit math classrooms that have potential students for MATHCOUNTS® and recruit
10. Make copies of the MATHCOUNTS® handbook