Certificate in Jazz Performance and Pedagogy
The School of Music has implemented a Jazz Certificate in Jazz Performance and Pedagogy. The certification program is designed to help students in the Bachelor of Music With Teacher Certification Program develop special skills in jazz performance and jazz pedagogy.
Curriculum Outline identifying the involvement necessary to earn the Certification.
- Two semesters of Improvisation (MU 3233 & 3234) (4 hours)
- One semester of Jazz Pedagogy (MU 4343) (3 hours)
- One semester of Jazz Piano Techniques (MUSP 3112J) (1 hour)
- One semester of Jazz History (MU 3375) (3 hours)
- One semester of Jazz Combo taken in conjunction with Jazz Improvisation II (1 hour)
- For instrumentalists: four semesters of jazz ensembles (4 hours)
- For vocalists: four semesters of VocaLibre or jazz ensembles (4 hours)
TOTAL: 16 hours
Additional Requirements: Certification candidates will be expected to actively participate in the regular activities of the jazz ensembles.