Jazz Drum-set auditions consist of the applicant being able to demonstrate rhythmic and “groove” competency in the following musical styles:
- 4/4 swing at a variety of tempos
- Funk and rock styles at a variety of tempos
- Samba and Bossa Nova
- Afro-Cuban 6/8
Additional skills assessed during the Jazz Drum-set audition:
- Brush technique
- Knowledge of Form and Repertoire
- “Trading Fours”
- “Call and Response” - Demonstrate ability in drum set patterns and ear excercises - (i.e. hearing a phrase and playing it back)
- Sight-reading “Big Band” charts
The prospective student should be prepared to discuss previous performance experience, teachers, and method books used in study.
If available, the prospective student will have an opportunity to demonstrate the above skills in a performance situation with either a large or small jazz ensemble.