The undergraduate international studies internships (IS 4387 and 4687) are open to all majors and minors in international studies who have completed a minimum of 60 semester hours of coursework while maintaining a Texas State GPA of 3.00 or higher.
- IS 4687 is six credit hour course that requires a minimum of 300 hours of work at the internship site.
- IS 4387 is a three credit hour course that requires a minimum of 150 hours of work at the internship site.
- Both courses require a daily internship work log, journal, an organizational research paper (required length is ten pages for IS 4387 and 16 pages for IS 4687; see internship guidelines for formatting instructions), and an evaluation by the internship supervisor.
- With the exception of those majoring in international studies with a focus in travel and tourism, the internship is not required.
- In most cases, the course can fulfill a requirement within the IS core or focus.
- Enrollment in an internship course requires approval by the international studies academic advisor.
The graduate international studies internship (IS 5387) is open to any student who is currently enrolled at Texas State University–San Marcos in the M.A. in International Studies Program with a minimum Texas State GPA of 3.2 and at least 18 hours of graduate coursework completed by the time the internship begins.
- The student will be required to complete a minimum of 150 hours at the internship site and one 25-page research paper
- The course will be counted as one of the five required electives in the degree.
- Although IS 5387 is not a required course, it is highly recommended.
Internship Opportunities in Texas
- Barbados Consulate General (Houston)
- Center for Survivors of Torture (Austin and Dallas)
- City of San Antonio International Relations Office
- Cultural Awareness International (Dallas)
- Institute of International Education (Houston, New York, and Washington D.C)
- Intelligence and Counter Terrorism Division/ Texas Department of Public Safety (Austin)
- Interfaith Action of Central Texas
- Interfaith Ministries for Greater Houston
- International Rescue Committee (Dallas)
- International Trade Center in San Antonio
- Lone Star Chapter/ The Sierra Club (Austin)
- Mexican Consulate General (Houston)
- Office of the Governor of Texas
- Rainforest Partnership (Austin)
- Refugee Services of Texas, Inc. (Austin and Dallas)
- STRATFOR (Austin)
- Texas Department of Agriculture (Austin)
- Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (Austin)
- Texas Secretary Of State (Austin)
- U.S. Department of State
- U.S Export Assistance Center/ U.S Department of Commerce (San Antonio, Austin, Houston)
- Misc Opportunities