Dr. Lindsay Bira Shines in PTSD Research
Dr. Lindsay Bira, an Honors alumna, has been spotlighted by the UT Health Science Center - San Antonio: "Dr. Bira is a clinical fellow at STRONG STAR, specializing in treating combat-related PTSD in the military population. STRONG STAR is currently the world’s largest PTSD research consortium."
Honors Professors Recognized
The following Honors Professors were presented with Presidential Awards. These awards are given annually to faculty who have demonstrated outstanding performance in teaching, scholarship, or service.
- Dr. Steven Beebe: Excellence in Service
- Dr. David Nolan: Excellence in Teaching
- Dr. Caitlin Gabor: Excellence in Scholarly/Creative Activities
- Dr. Ziliang Zong: Excellence in Scholarly/Creative Activities
Dr. Gilbert Martinez's HON 3396E, Free Speech, Free Press, and the Supreme Court of the United States, takes a field trip freespeechfreepress.wordpress.com/ and writes about free speech and free press around the world.
More Students Should Be Involved in Honors College
The Honors College offers undergraduates many opportunities and privileges. Mass Communication honors student, Savannah Wingo, writes about her favorite things about being in Honors including; the small sizes and the opportunity to take one-of-a-kind classes with creative courses that substitute for core courses.
Honors student Stephanie Daul awarded the Jo Anne J. Trow National Undergraduate Scholarship
From The Texas State University Blog: Stephanie Daul, a junior at Texas State University double-majoring in accounting and finance, was awarded the 2012 Jo Anne J. Trow National Undergraduate Scholarship this past summer. The highly prestigious scholarship is awarded to only 35 undergraduates across the United States.
Daul received the $2,000 award through her membership in the Alpha Lambda Delta (ALD) Honor Society, which she has belonged to since her freshman year. Daul qualified for her scholarship due to her 4.0 GPA, involvement on campus and recommendations from well-acquainted professors. Diann A. McCabe, director of academic development in the Honors College, says Daul “demonstrates the kind of academic depth and leadership potential that we hope to see in all Texas State students.”
By Andrew Osegi
For full article, visit the Texas State University Blog website.
As students may have noticed from the chorus of drilling and hammering for the past few months, Lampasas, the building housing the Honors College and the International Studies' office, has been under construction. The project was completed the summer of 2012, just in time for the building's centennial celebration, which took place officially in fall 2012.
An article, published in the Austin-American Statesman, spoke about the renovations. Our new neighbors below include faculty and staff members from the Center for Diversity and Gender Studies, Department of English, School of Music, and School of Journalism and Mass Communication.
- University to Invest in LGBT Studies (The University Star)
- Hip-Hop Culture Makes the Grade as New Honors Course, (University News Service).
- Honors Professor Dr. Olson discusses role of the moon in the Titanic Disaster. (The University Star)
- Honors Program to become a college, (SM Mercury).
- Honors Program to become a college, (SA Express).
- Honors Program to become a college, (University Star).
- Honors Program Prepares to become a college.
- Student Undergraduate Research Fund in the news.
- S.U.R.F. helping Texas State become a research focused institution.
- Dr. Galloway works to promote Science in Cambodia.
- Honors alumna Lauren McMurray's tsunami relief work in Japan
- The Honors Program sponsors a free GRE review session
- Honors students in Nancy Wilson's South Asian Literature course celebrate the beginning of the Hindu spring festival, Holi.
- Students participate in the Sustainability Exploration Event
- HSA participates in Relay for Life
- Honors student Carter Maddox starts student protest through Facebook
- Texas State Honors alumnus and Juilliard faculty member, Wayne Oquin's work with Texas State and current projects
- Honors professor and Assistant Director Diann McCabe promotes diversity program funding
- Honors student Kelby Wenger donates stem cells and saves a stranger's life
- Honors alumnus Christian Wallace blogs about Cheatham Street Warehouse and a Star article about the inspiration for his thesis
- English professor and Honors faculty Steve Wilson talks about his study abroad program in Ireland
- Honors professor Dr. Oren Renick is the new president of Hope Hospice
- Día de los Muertos Celebration
- University Star mini-article about the Honors Coffee Forum
- Student comments on the Honors Program.
- Honors student Angelika Fuller's activism
- Expansion of the Honors Program
- Honors Associate Director, Diann McCabe as San Marcos Woman of the Year
- Honors courses (HON 3392R and HON 3394Z)
- Honors student Hylary Ahrendt speaks about her "whole mind education"
- Honors alumna Amber Jackson, speaks about her academic and professional passions
- Honors professor, John Hood and Troupe Texas
- Honors class field trips
- Featured event: Día de los Muertos Celebration
- HOPE gallery exhibition in the Coffee Forum