Texas State University Logo
Banner Image
Honors College
Lampasas Bldg 407
601 University Dr.
San Marcos, TX 78666

Dr. Heather C. Galloway, Dean
Ph: (512) 245.2266
Fax: (512) 245.8959
adjust type sizemake font smallermake font largerreset font size

How many courses should I take?

The Honors College does not require students to participate in courses every semester to maintain their membership in the College. Rather, students are encouraged to take classes that spark their interests, and substitute for core or elective classes required by their degrees. In addition, students may opt to graduate in the Honors College or to minor in Honors Studies.

Graduating in Honors

To graduate in the Honors College, students must complete a minimum of fifteen hours in honors. This means that students need to complete five three-hour honors classes, one of which is the Honors Thesis (HON 4390B). Additionally, you must maintain a 3.25 GPA.


Benefits of Graduating in Honors
Students graduating in the Honors College will be presented a medallion to wear at graduation, and will be listed separately in the commencement booklet, along with the title of their theses and the names of their supervising professors. The transcripts of these students will feature special designations of their graduation in the Honors College.

The process of completing a thesis also benefits students academically, and can function as a stepping stone to their future professional or educational ventures. Please see the honors thesis for more information.

The Minor in Honors Studies

What is the minor in Honors Studies?

Academic requirements for the minor in Honors Studies:

  • Completion of a minimum of seven honors courses for a total of 21 hours. 
    • The 21 hours must include HON 4390A, the Senior Seminar, and HON 4390B, the Honors Thesis course, along with two advanced honors classes (i.e., four of the seven honors courses must be advanced).
    • Completion of HON 4390B includes approval signature from the dean of the Honors College and the thesis supervising professor.
  • Evidence of study abroad/international experience or evidence of cross-cultural competency.  (Write a 2-3 page essay summarizing the experience and exploring insights gained; turn in the essay to the Director of Academic Development.)

For Honors Studies minor academic advising, please contact one of the following:

Professor Heather Galloway, Dean, Honors College, e-mail
Professor Diann McCabe, Director of Academic Development, Honors College, e-mail