Freshmen accepted to Texas State and admitted to the Honors College usually meet or exceed at least one of the following criteria.
- Top 10 percent of high school graduating class
- ACT composite score of 27
- SAT score of 1270 (taken after March 2016)
- SAT score of 1200 (taken before March 2016 and calculated as the Math + Verbal scores)
- Completed the AP Capstone Program
The Honors College accepts applications on a rolling basis so there is no deadline for Honors College applications.
- Freshmen planning to enroll in a fall semester must apply and be admitted by April 1 in order to register for Honors courses during New Student Orientation.
- Applicants accepted after April 1 will be unable to register for Honors classes until the late registration period beginning August 11.
Permanent Address (If different than current mailing address.)
All applicants to the Honors College must write a focused, well-developed essay of 500 to 750 words (2 1/2 pages) on one of the following topics. No essay topic listed below is preferred over another.
- One of the unique features of the Honors College is that every student completes a thesis prior to graduation. Although most honors students sign up for the thesis course during their final semester, their thesis projects often represent the culmination of years of study and research into a focused topic they feel passionately about. Describe a topic that is of particular interest to you and that you hope to explore as an undergraduate. What first drew you in to this topic and what personal significance does it hold for you? How does your engagement with this topic relate to your chosen fields of study and/or your career plans?
- The Honors College prides itself on being a diverse community; our students come from a wide variety of social, ethnic, cultural, and religious backgrounds and represent nearly every undergraduate degree program on campus. As a student at Texas State University, how do you see yourself contributing to the diversity of the honors community? In your essay, you may choose to focus on elements of your life story, on your academic and professional interests, or on both.
- You may also submit an essay on a topic of your own choosing. Please state the topic at the beginning of your essay.