This is a chronological check list to assist faculty members who suspect that a student has violated the Honor Code Policy. The faculty member may consult with their department chair or school director to determine an appropriate academic penalty.
In compliance with the Honor Code University Policy (UPPS No. 07.10.01), the faculty member will:
Complete the Honor Code Review Form, which is also available on the Honor Code website http://www.txstate.edu/honorcodecouncil/.
2. Summon the student orally or in writing to a meeting. Arrange other communications for exceptional circumstances. If the student fails to respond, forward the Honor Code Review Form and any materials to the Honor Code Council chair and AVPAA’s office.
3. Meet with the student regarding both the suspected Honor Code violation and the evidence that supports the suspicion the violation occurred.
4. Provide the student with a copy of the Honor Code Review Form and any written documents or statements which serve as evidence for the Honor Code violation.
5. Advise the student that he or she may accept or reject either the faculty member’s determination or academic penalty and appeal their case to the Honor Code Council.
6. Give the student three business days to respond to the suspected Honor Code violation in writing or in person as determined by the student. If the student fails to respond, forward the Honor Code Review Form and any materials to the Honor Code Council chair and AVPAA’s office.
7. Determine whether the student violated the Honor Code after considering the evidence and student response.
8. No further action is required if the faculty member is convinced that the student did not violate the Honor Code, thus ending the matter.
9. Forward the Honor Code Review Form to the AVPAA’s office if the student accepts the determination and penalty, and signs the Acceptance of Determination section on the review form, thus ending the matter.
10. Forward the Honor Code Review Form to the Honor Code Council chair and AVPAA’s office if the student rejects the faculty member’s determination, signs the Non-Acceptance of Determination section of the review form and appeals their case to the Honor Code Council.
11. If the student rejects the faculty member’s determination, the Honor Code Council chair will make every effort to set the hearing within ten business days. The Council chair will provide the date, time, and location of the hearing as well as make the documents and evidence (from the faculty member and student) available for the hearing.