Generally, Accounts Payable must maintain physical possession of each disbursement check and must mail the check directly from Accounts Payable. However in certain situations, the new policy authorizes faculty and staff to pick up the disbursement check. When authorized, the faculty or staff picking up the check must be identified on the payment request and the individual must provide identification to the Cashier’s Office when picking up the check.
Situations authorized for pickup by policy include:
- Payment to contractors such as guest artists, lecturers and performers whose contract states payment is due on the day of the performance.
- Payment to a hotel when payment is required at check in. However, every effort should first be made to use a company billed account, Purchase Order or personal credit card to pay for the lodging.
- Payment to conferences, meetings or other events when payment is due at registration.
- Payment to businesses that require prepayment at the time of services.
- Payment involving a release of liability handled by the Office of General Counsel.
- Payment for purchases of real property when payment is due at closing.
- Deposit payments for group travel airline purchases.
- Refunds to grant sponsors for unused program funds.
- Payments to student athletics for conference allowances.
- Stipends for grant group participants.
- Refunds which must include sensitive data (e.g. tax ID numbers).
Any request other than those authorized by policy will be considered on a case-by-case, exception basis. Checks will not be released to university staff unless a valid reason is provided. Each must be approved by the Director of Accounting or their designee.
Departments who need to mail additional or confidential information with the check may bring the information to Accounts Payable and include in the payment envelope. The department staff can seal the envelope but Accounts Payable will retain control of the disbursement check until mailed.
If a payment requires mailing by an overnight courier, the department should complete the courier’s airbill form and provide it to the Accounts Payable department. The slip must include the department’s account number with the courier vendor form so proper billing occurs. Accounts Payable will mail the check to the courier along with any other information required.